Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Bob,
We (me and another guy) used to get from 500 to 700 chicks every spring from Urch.
Urch has real good birds his best would have to be his Asiatic.

I do have some Large Fowl Polish in Blue and Splash that I picked up last year that are nice, they do need some work but they aren't bad.

Chris

Quote:
Bob,
We (me and another guy) used to get from 500 to 700 chicks every spring from Urch.

I do have some Large Fowl Polish in Blue and Splash that I picked up last year that are nice, they do need some work but they aren't bad.

Chris

I don't know how he churns out so many good birds at those numbers. He supplies all kinds of show birds to people. A master breeder!

Walt

Quote:
Bob,

Chris

I don't know how he churns out so many good birds at those numbers. He supplies all kinds of show birds to people. A master breeder!

Walt

I have no idea either.
I know when we placed the order we would ask to have them shipped in two orders 1 order shipped in Jan. and the other in Feb. All the chicks that we got were good and healthy and we always ordered a assortment of Large fowl.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Bob,

Chris

Walt

I've had Black Giants, SC White Leghorns & Black Ameraucanas from him. All were excellent birds.

Last edited:
Thank you for be here to help. It is nice to find people who have shares interests and is knowledgable. It has been ten years since I've had chickens, wanting to get back into it I wanted to help conserve breeds that were endangered. Doing some looking I picked Buckeye and Barred Holland (different color eggs). I only have one Buckeye Rooster (from Matt the Poulrtyman IN) and 7 hens and 7 roosters of the Barred Hollands (from SandHill Preservation). The Buckeye he is a beautie, but some of the Barred Hollands have brown in their feathering. Where can I get a list of traits for them so I can cull the right ones. Is the line from SandHill a heritage line?

Thank you, Robbie

Quote:
On your Barred Hollands,
Is it solid Brown feathers or is it the Black Barring "bleaching" out from the sun?

If you got Buckeyes from Matt and David John ( Shady Lane Poultry ) they should be good. I believe that some of there Buckeye stock came from
Laura Haggarty. She is on here now and then under the user name Pathfinders and I think after Matt got flooded out a few years back she sent him some new stock.

Chris

Last edited:
Matt John
Columbus, IN
812-603-7722
www.shadylanepoultry.com

http://www.shadylanepoultry.com/exhbreeds.html

http://www.shadylanepoultry.com/eggs.html

I am so glad Robbie you posted today on the site as there was a fellow who was in my mind but I could not put it together. I ordered poultry supplies from Matt and he has some very good Single Comb and Rhode Island Red large fowl. So you who want eggs or chicks and want the old fashion vintage style dark as a bing cherry Rhode Island Red Matt Johns has them. Also, look at his Buckeyes they are super nice. This guy is a no nonsense breeder. Heck he evens trap nest his birds to build up the laying like I did ten years ago. No buddy does this anymore. Why because he is a died in the wool breeder who takes pride in what he does. I have his sites above for you to look at and see his pretty real on the hoof pictures of his birds. So here is another good source for what he has to offer for you guys who want the old fashion chickens like grandpa use to have. He will also know some breeders who may have the breed you are looking after and I am sure he would be happy to help you if knows someone who has your breed you want.

So you have gotten birds from Mr. Urch. I often wonder if he supplies some of the hatcheries there chicks. It is called drop shipping. The hatchery takes the order gets our money then sends the order to him to send to you. I would bet money any breed you get from him will be respectable and you would be able to breed them up as time goes on.

Every here of Superior Farms.????? Well I got a call from a fellow in Arkansas today who got a whole lot of birds from Superior Farms before they shut down. He told me he is willing to sell chicks maybe eggs ,but chicks would be safer and better to you folks. Let me work on this tomorow and I will be able to let you know what breeds he has to offer. He is a good chicken man and has a nice set up.
Found a good source today for Partridge and Barred Rock large fowl and the fellow that sold Kathy those pretty Frank Reese Barred Rock Large fowl sent me his dues to the Plymouth Rock Club. I will be calling him up this weekend to talk to him to see what he can share with you beginners with his Barred Rocks. Let me tell you those are some super fine chickens. When you want a dual purpose large fowl this strain has to be in the top ten in the country.
Well going to bed got to get up early in mourning and clean some chicken pens. Do you have to do this at home? Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom