Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Your link states you received your Javas from John Tunstall. He was a great breeder/exhibitor. Never met him but heard a lot about him.

jim, i am so excited to hear that. i had NO information on him other than he was an elderly gentleman who raised BJs forever. his birds all went to a local guy up here in NW Arkansas, and he only held them for under a year before having to liquidate (due to a heart attack). so i am pleased to hear someone has heard of Tunstall...I googled him once but got nothing and "assumed" he was not an exhibitor, just a farmer. you have made my day. i didn't know enough about chickens to ask the right questions when i bought my BJs--i would have been taking notes, i fi knew then what i know now, about what's important in breeding.

by the way let me know come spring if you want some BJ eggs for that 4-H project we chatted about on the chicken meet up forum earlier this year. i ran out of plentiful eggs before i could get to you.

Hey, I can always find a 4H member willing to accept free hatching eggs and a new breed. we have several that are just getting started and still have either mixed breed chickens, hatchery birds or the 4H chain birds. Really want to get them all into either a heritage breed or good quality exhibition birds. Just let me know when you are about to send eggs and I will get one of them to fire up an incubator.

Are you coming to the state fair show next week? Will be several heritage breeds at the Arkansas State Fair!

Bob, Do you remember John Tunstall?

Yes a friend of mine from Eldorado Arkansas talk ever Tuesday night for four years about Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns. We have talked about him and I will ask him next time about John.
Sometimes these old timers drop out, get sick or die and they fall through the cracks. However, there is sometimes a bird or two kept by someone and no one knows about it.
This happens all the time.

I found a pair of Partridge Plymouth Rock bantams that go back 50 years. The line was destroyed by a mink two years ago. This fellow bought a pair from this breeder and has ten birds. Now I have to find a trusted breeder who wants these two and will not screw up a future project.

I went to my friend’s house yesterday afternoon and saw my old line of White Plymouth Rocks. We culled 50% of the females and males down to three males and six females. He also has a nice strain of Dick H from Penn Partridge Plymouth Rock large fowl. Kept two males and three females.

He plans to get some adult birds from Joel from Virginia this November. Then he will be able to see what he can do to improve this very rare color variety of Plymouth Rocks. Just not that many alive today to choose from except the hatchery stock.
We are planning on an experiment hatching egg shipment program. I have a method to ship hatching eggs and going to ad a Post Office service for about $9. Called Special Handling Charges.

Special Handling Service is for unusual items that need to be handled specially through the mail – like live poultry and bees. For these items, Special Handling is required. Your package will receive preferential handling to the extent that it’s practical in dispatch and transportation.

Maybe this extra fee will give the eggs just what they need to improve the hatches by maybe 10 %. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15199033

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/specialhandlingservice.htm

I
have been kicking around a new name for a new thread for Heritage breeds. Cannot say official breed club as I do not represent the other breed clubs.
Do you have an idea for a catchy name for a thread like: Rhode Island Red Heritage Thread? Official Heritage Rhode Island Red treads. Do you have a name to through into the pile?
Don’t want to offend anyone with a name but we want it to be for old time standard of perfection type breeds?
Got to go to work will work on the pictures for the Partridge and white rocks I took yesterday. Bob

Last edited:
Quote:
i hope i am wrong in thinking he has passed, or that he gave up breeding BJs entirely. would love to get some more stock from him! i adore my birds and the roo is especially good-mannered and have had 100% fertility since i brought him home, covering up to 13 girls!

since people seem to know people on here...if i could find out the name of the fellow i bought from here in NW ark...i lost his card and the craigslist post has been deleted. if anyone knows a hobby farmer in sonora arkansas (near springdale, off highway 412), please let me know! raised all manner of animals, including bantam golden leghorns, which are an oddity at least to me, plus rabbits, horses, goats, you name it, mostly heritage breeds. would love to be able to find out more about these tunstall black javas i have!

Quote:
i hope i am wrong in thinking he has passed, or that he gave up breeding BJs entirely. would love to get some more stock from him! i adore my birds and the roo is especially good-mannered and have had 100% fertility since i brought him home, covering up to 13 girls!

since people seem to know people on here...if i could find out the name of the fellow i bought from here in NW ark...i lost his card and the craigslist post has been deleted. if anyone knows a hobby farmer in sonora arkansas (near springdale, off highway 412), please let me know! raised all manner of animals, including bantam golden leghorns, which are an oddity at least to me, plus rabbits, horses, goats, you name it, mostly heritage breeds. would love to be able to find out more about these tunstall black javas i have!

Have sent a friend on FB a message asking about John Tunstall. Another friend confirmed John was an old old poultry judge and did live in Fayettville Arkansas. Trying to confirm if he is still living. Will let you know.

Official Heritage Rhode Island Red treads.

thumbsup.gif

Chris

Quote:
how can those of us that can only obtain eggs, and the eggs being not known if their sisters and brothers, go about breeding?

Quote:
how can those of us that can only obtain eggs, and the eggs being not known if their sisters and brothers, go about breeding?

Cub

i am in exactly that boat with the Columbian Rocks that I have as well as the Heritage BRs. I was told that you just have to start with what you have. Individually mate, mark and track the rooster/cockerel and each hen to develop "family lines". Then, selecting the best "family lines" you begin to line breed.

NOW....hopefully the "experts" here will weigh in an correct me where I've made errors, but that is the best I've been able to determine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom