Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I did and they say birds with small digestive systems can not handle the expantion of DRIED RICE, not the rice found in the wild.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_dried_rice_kill_birds

Pigeons have a small digestive system and they use Rice in pigeon feed.

Contains: Small Yellow Corn, Canada Peas, Red Milo, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, White Kafir, Safflower, Vetch, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Buckwheat, Rice.
http://www.purgrain.com/products-2010.html

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-Diet->>-Seed-&-Grain-Mixtures-cln-Rice-Seeds/Categories.bok

Chris

The various "wikis" aren't researched or edited sites. Anyone is free to post their so-called information. The Wiki answer cited speaks of birds w/small stomachs & bursting stomachs. Here's the problem with that-birds don't have stomachs now do they. The notion that eating rice kills birds is nonsence. All grains swell when wet & chicken feeds are all grain based. Ever cook oatmeal? How about grits? The ratio of water to grain for cooking rice, oatmeal & grits is exactly the same.

It is so odd how "Old Wives' Tales" get started even today!
Other than that, chicken feed, and pigeon feed is milled, not whole.
So maybe it is whole, unmilled dried rice that can kill.
Not in the stomach, as they have no stomach, but they do have intestines, and they can burst, ever hear a pigeon pass gas ??

My dog, in playing, just ate a 6" square of raw hide, choking it down, great.
THAT will clog the gut too...stupid dog !
If he isn't eating rocks, he eats treats, toys, gloves...
barnie.gif

For those of you interested in Dominiques I just started an auction for some of my eggs. The description includes a little of the history of my strain.

Quote:
I plan on these being the breed I concentrate on the most.
I sold most of my other chickens just so I could put all my efforts on these.
I will keep up dated pic Probably on a monthly basis

Here are the newest pics at 1 month old the heritage with the production
44571_red_babies_00001.jpg

44571_red_babies_00000.jpg
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Well, now you have.
wink.png

In almost 15 years in the breed, my birds have never produced a single comb. Solid white, yes, but no single combs. I've also seen birds missing the end spike, or the comb was "flattened" and, lacked the desired small bumps over the main part of the comb on the head but it was still a rose comb nonetheless.

While the BPR may have started with Dominique stock, the two breeds quickly developed along different paths. They're not the same and shouldn't be crossed; aside from the comb, the respective barring, size, and shape are unique to each breed. If you're getting single combs popping up, the chances are you'll also see evidence of recent BPR crossbreeding like wrong size or shape like a flat back.
hmm.png

Yep, probably 99% of the SC Dominique chicks had BPR or other SC ancestors in the last few generations. We haven't had any SC chicks hatch yet but the lines we're working with have SC birds in the hatches so we know we might get some here and there. Over the next year we're going to be test crossing our cockerels on a few SC hens (Orps for egg laying pullets) to see if anyone throws SC chicks, then cross a SC male (probably use an Marans for darker egg layers) on our best females to see if they are SC recessive in there. Then we'll know who carries one SC gene and we can breed accordingly so we reduce the SC gene but don't get rid of it entirely. R inhibits sperm vitality, so a Rr male will have better fertility (given the same feed, environment, etc etc etc) than a RR male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom