Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Actually guys, I no longer have them. It was too hard to find decent lines to even begin with and I didn't have the time/patience/energy to devote to working on them when they were just eating and taking up space that could be occupied by something that wasn't going to take 10 years to get closer to perfection.
hmm.png

I did invest in some nice (show bird line) RC RIR eggs though....but they won't be coming until late next month and I won't be offering any of those for sale until spring of 2012.

Thanks!

~Heather

I know exactly what you mean! We've had ours 2 years & they look good, IMO. Trying to find good lines in any color is hard -- especially colors other than red or silver grey. I've been trying to reach Craig Russell from the SPPA to see if he still has cuckoo. I'm ordering White eggs from Ed Hart. Meeting up with Dick Horstman at a show in May for more reds to breed with ours.
big_smile.png
Things may come together yet!

I should put together a list of the contacts I've made that are still selling good quality Dorkings. So many people become frustrated from the never ending search & that's part of why they're so rare. It's very sad & needs to be fixed.

You are exactly why is it still working..it is hard to find the old true breeders....but the benefits are outrageous!
Please do not give up!

Edited to add:
have you search the breeders list of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy ?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, 2010 ON.....Jason Page had BB with a Buckeye hen or pullet....and you are incorrect about Mr. Brown getting RB.....it was a Crains Run Ranch Buckeye, aka "Lay" strain that was shown by a 12 year old young lady.
Thanks for the tip, too Mitch but I've been raising both Buckeye's and RIR's for a number of years now and I think I got a pretty good handle on the differences between the twwo breeds!
big_smile.png

(You are a funny guy to even make that comment....are you a lawyer, too??? LOL)

Last edited:
I could only get these few pics either of my new girls going away from me or after they hit the roost.
Not the best pics but I'm not much of a photographer.

58453_rc1.jpg

58453_rcrir1.jpg

58453_rcr.jpg

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! We've had ours 2 years & they look good, IMO. Trying to find good lines in any color is hard -- especially colors other than red or silver grey. I've been trying to reach Craig Russell from the SPPA to see if he still has cuckoo. I'm ordering White eggs from Ed Hart. Meeting up with Dick Horstman at a show in May for more reds to breed with ours.
big_smile.png
Things may come together yet!

I should put together a list of the contacts I've made that are still selling good quality Dorkings. So many people become frustrated from the never ending search & that's part of why they're so rare. It's very sad & needs to be fixed.

You are exactly why is it still working..it is hard to find the old true breeders....but the benefits are outrageous!
Please do not give up!

Edited to add:
have you search the breeders list of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy ?

Ahhhh... I can't give up! My 11 year old is on a quest to "Save the Dorking!!!" & I am his #1 fan.
cool.png

I haven't joined the ALBC yet & there are very few Dorking breeders on the public list. I also heard that many of the people on that list also gave up. After we join, Noah wants to request that they focus on the Dorking like they did the Buckeye a few years ago. We don't believe that their census is right, given the extreme difficulty finding anything other than hatchery stock. I don't like the idea that they include hatcheries in the census, since most are nowhere near the SOP. We need to find as many of the old, true breeders as we can & obtain some of their stock. Many do not have internet & in this case, the internet is our best friend. We need to keep the conversation going & create excitement and as Noah says "synergy" so others see & desire the magnificent bird that we do.

Quote:
Yes, 2010 ON.....Jason Page had BB with a Buckeye hen or pullet....and you are incorrect about Mr. Brown getting RB.....it was a Crains Run Ranch Buckeye, aka "Lay" strain that was shown by a 12 year old young lady.
Thanks for the tip, too Mitch but I've been raising both Buckeye's and RIR's for a number of years now and I think I got a pretty good handle on the differences between the twwo breeds!
big_smile.png

(You are a funny guy to even make that comment....are you a lawyer, too??? LOL)

OK, I will look back, and no i am not a lawyer, but I have learned from him. And I have heard all about you, Jeff.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Please do not give up!

Edited to add:

Ahhhh... I can't give up! My 11 year old is on a quest to "Save the Dorking!!!" & I am his #1 fan.
cool.png

I haven't joined the ALBC yet & there are very few Dorking breeders on the public list. I also heard that many of the people on that list also gave up. After we join, Noah wants to request that they focus on the Dorking like they did the Buckeye a few years ago. We don't believe that their census is right, given the extreme difficulty finding anything other than hatchery stock. I don't like the idea that they include hatcheries in the census, since most are nowhere near the SOP. We need to find as many of the old, true breeders as we can & obtain some of their stock. Many do not have internet & in this case, the internet is our best friend. We need to keep the conversation going & create excitement and as Noah says "synergy" so others see & desire the magnificent bird that we do.

If you want to help 'save' the Dorking then joining the ALBC is barking up the wrong tree! ALBC is a great organization, but their efforts of conservation are always going to be focused on the American Class based on their own mission statement.

You'd do much better to join the Dorking Club and then the SPPA (The folks already mentioned are SPPA members).

You also don't understand the ALBC census. Their main numbers came from Hatcheries and not individual breeders; though in the past few years they have begun to include individual breeders that they are aware of. The bases for their census was the study done by Bender and Hawes. It's focus was Hatcheries.

Quote:
cool.png

If you want to help 'save' the Dorking then joining the ALBC is barking up the wrong tree! ALBC is a great organization, but their efforts of conservation are always going to be focused on the American Class based on their own mission statement.

You'd do much better to join the Dorking Club and then the SPPA (The folks already mentioned are SPPA members).

You also don't understand the ALBC census. Their main numbers came from Hatcheries and not individual breeders; though in the past few years they have begun to include individual breeders that they are aware of. The bases for their census was the study done by Bender and Hawes. It's focus was Hatcheries.

Thanks for that info!

I'll send my money to the SPPA & the Dorking Club instead... I had reservations about the ALBC anyhow. I do wish the SPPA was more active online. That is definitely something I would be interested in helping with.

You are certainly right about that: the SPPA needs a real presence online! The ALBC site proves that it doesn't even have to be interactive: just informative. (I've always liked the ALBC site. It is easy to navigate and is loaded with information. What you need to remember is that SPPA is all volunteers while a few folks are making a living with the ALBC.... nothing wrong with that; just explains some of the differences).

I think Jim Parker is steering the Dorking Club now. You can check with Craig Russell or someone on here. Ed would also know.

Quote:
Mitch, you seem like a smart young person and here's some advice from an "old timer"....don't believe EVERYTHING you hear said, or written about another person on the internet!
big_smile.png

(I think your mentor, the lawyer, states something like this in his signature....learn to live by that and you will go far my young chicken loving friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom