Bob cat in yard circling Chicken Coop/Run at 7am. Now What Do I Do?

StephanieD

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
7am our 8 chickens are going crazy outside in the coop/run in our backyard. Rush to get dressed and run out there. They are clacking like they just layed an egg, very loudly. I looked around for a snake, none. I thought maybe my 4 20-week old chicks layed their first egg, nope. They won't stop clacking, for about an hour. My neighbor stopped by later and said she saw a BOB CAT in the yard, circling the coop/run.

So what should I do now to prevent Mr. Bob Cat from getting my chickens??
82156_dscn0147.jpg

82156_dscn0347_116.jpg

Is that run wired top to bottom? At the bottom, is it buried with a skirt facing outwards? Is the wire only chicken wire on the top half? I would make sure my run was secured with top to bottom strong wire, like hardware cloth, etc., buried and skirted. It's a good idea to bolt down wire with washers, too.

There are a couple of options. Of course make sure your run is a secure as you possibly can. A livestock guardian dog would be an idea, or you could trap it, or shoot it.

looks like you have chain link fencing at the bottom- but what is up higher? If that is just chicken wire, I would suggest getting a welded wire for horses or the hardwire cloth to put over what you have already.

Quote:
Well I would like to contact animal control...but.....that is not in my best interest! ;~) I don't want to invite any issues.

If I saw bobcat, then simply walking out towards it will scare it away. Problem is the furball will come back while your not around. The upper part of your coop could made bobcat resistant by having wire go all the way to top. Bobcats may be very strong but to my knowledge not noteworthy for their ability to get into pens. I have and see bobcats with some regularity. My dog, a 50 pound German short-haired pointer, easily chases off the local bobcats. Dog's scent marking around roosts and coops is an adequate calling card to keep the bobcat away even though dog might be out of sight or asleep. Bring a neighbors dog out on leash and have him sniff around coop. He will leave signs the bobcat will avoid. Best that dog be adult and healthy, and bigger than bobcat. Apparently scent can indicate not only species, sex and reproductive status, but also age and health.

I live in an area with bobcats,weasels,bear, cougar, predator birds, eagles,etc. Our chicken coup is similar to yours, however, my fencing is field fencing, 2x2 to 6 ft. then we have chicken wire that goes all the way up to the roof. Nothing can get into it, I have 5 cats, and they have all tried, very hard!
What you need is to get some chicken wire and put it all around, secure with tie outs,( plastic tie thingies that you can get at home Depot for electrical and other uses) or wire, or string will work, but takes alot more effort.

Back
Top Bottom