Bob questions that I should probably already know the answer to.

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I'm looking at 3 pair of fancy bobs next fall, I'm also getting into a small cot business in the next couple months. Soo... I was wondering if the bobs could be penned in the same breeder rack with my cots? In my plans I called for the top row to be slightly smaller pens (16" wide x2' deep) to accommodate pair of bobs (that's big enough right?). I should know all this stuff but I'm being paranoid because these are pretty rare colors and could run me quite a bit. I guess the only other thing I had doubts about is if the timed lighting to keep the cots going will severely bother the bobs? Now that I think of it I should probably put solid partitions between the bob pens too, so I don't get "through the wire" fighting and stress. BTW the height on these pens will be 10" in the back and 12" in the front. I'm not building this breeder rack until after late October because I don't have the $300 right now for the materials and parts and I have 4 old finch breeder cages to use for the cots in the meen time.

ETA: these will be snowflake, blonde, and smokey bobs from leggs peafowl in KCMO

Last edited:
Sounds like plenty of room for 3 pair of Bobs. However I would keep a solid wall between the bobs and the cots. And I am not sure about keeping all these different types of bobs together. There could be some fighting amoungst them, and inter breeding.

Oh no, there will be a dropping pan betwwen the cots and bobs and the bobs will have 16"x24" per pair. My overall breeder rack will be 2' deep x 4' wide x 54" tall and have 7 individual pens. 3 pens on the top row for bobs and 2 pens ea. on the middle and bottom row for my cots.

I built my racks out of PVC just using tees and pipe 1" my pens I copied GQF but mine are not 3 compartment just one the width on mine is almost 30" bu t I only have 2 pens in the racks I will try to get some piccys up

So far I don't think I'm going to need any additional support just 3 sides of wire around the bottom but I may, don't know yet. Hows the price on that pvc? so far I'm looking at about 300 bucks going into this rack so I don't want to put much more into it.

I used the drain sched pipe I tried 3/4" for the prototype it is lighter then I wanted but still working after 3 years been through a buncha Nor'easters and a huricane or 2 LOL it is inside a privacy fence but the following racks I built from 1" not really that much more on price I use about 4 peices 10' long to build a rack I think I used 2 bags of pvc tees to build a rack but don't use all of the 2nd bag

This is the rack I plan on building. I thought about adding a 3rd row of 2x2 cot pens, not sure yet. This was just kind of a dementional drawing (to figure out how much wire I would need), but that top row would be for my fancy bobs.

Back
Top Bottom