Bobcat got a hold of my hen.

The skin is actually torn away. I have a dog crate for tonight. I did see the bobcat. It had the hen in it's mouth, then she got away. It started to come back for the hen until it saw me, then it ran off. Should she spend the night in the dog crate in the coop or in the garage?
Honestly she should be kept separate from the other birds for at least a week of not longer. I would be very concerned that the other birds will injure her further.

The skin is actually torn away. I have a dog crate for tonight. I did see the bobcat. It had the hen in it's mouth, then she got away. It started to come back for the hen until it saw me, then it ran off. Should she spend the night in the dog crate in the coop or in the garage?
Keeping her away from the flock is a good idea. Do your best with her and post an update later if you can. Sometimes chickens can amaze us.

I still don't know what attacked my girl but she lived and made a full recovery.

SPOILER__20200228_174515.jpg

keep the flies AWAY!! I am on my 2nd wounded chicken and this time it's pretty bad. I bring them inside in a dog kennel, doggie pads, etc and I drape tulle (wedding veil fabric) over the kennel to keep flies out. We have lots of cows so that means lots of flies. You can buy tulle online very cheap and it's good for plants. seedlings etc, too. Because of the style of attack and injuries I have narrowed it down to the inherited dog we have becasuse I have seen her romp through the chickens to make them run. It's only a little step to rough play! Her days are numbered.
Goodness! I am so sorry this happened! Keep it clean and good luck! It's always terrible when a predator gets hold of a bird- and while it doesn't look good, keep in mind that animals can be resilient in ways we may not expect.
I thought for sure I'd lose one of my girls after a nasty attack but she pulled through!
Best wishes for you and your bird!

Keeping her away from the flock is a good idea. Do your best with her and post an update later if you can. Sometimes chickens can amaze us.

I still don't know what attacked my girl but she lived and made a full recovery.

View attachment 2272189
wow. I have a chicken that looks about the same ; a large and gaping wound. She has/did have an appetite but may be going downhill. Her tail is also beat up and gaping. Her back has a big open wound. And maggots now. I didn't find her til the next day late in the afternoon. She can't sit up and has to squirm around to move. She is the 2nd one that got attacked and I narrowed it down to our inherited dog. whose days are numbered. I read that 50% Iodine will kill the maggots and eggs. The good thing is she doesn't smell. I have a last resort method of filling the wound with antibiotic twice a day. Any suggestions on keeping the wound clean? I usually soak them in the sink and if it's a warm day, put the kennel on the deck out of the sun and turn a fan on her, after I have put ointment, etc on her.

keep the flies AWAY!! I am on my 2nd wounded chicken and this time it's pretty bad. I bring them inside in a dog kennel, doggie pads, etc and I drape tulle (wedding veil fabric) over the kennel to keep flies out. We have lots of cows so that means lots of flies. You can buy tulle online very cheap and it's good for plants. seedlings etc, too. Because of the style of attack and injuries I have narrowed it down to the inherited dog we have becasuse I have seen her romp through the chickens to make them run. It's only a little step to rough play! Her days are numbered.
Excellent advice and
wow. I have a chicken that looks about the same ; a large and gaping wound. She has/did have an appetite but may be going downhill. Her tail is also beat up and gaping. Her back has a big open wound. And maggots now. I didn't find her til the next day late in the afternoon. She can't sit up and has to squirm around to move. She is the 2nd one that got attacked and I narrowed it down to our inherited dog. whose days are numbered. I read that 50% Iodine will kill the maggots and eggs. The good thing is she doesn't smell. I have a last resort method of filling the wound with antibiotic twice a day. Any suggestions on keeping the wound clean? I usually soak them in the sink and if it's a warm day, put the kennel on the deck out of the sun and turn a fan on her, after I have put ointment, etc on her.
Goodness, I feel for you and your bird! I got off lucky since my attack was in winter (less problems with bacteria/bugs/etc.)
I am not an expert. Someone else might have better advice. I just used an off-the-shelf wound cleanser (don't remember the name) and an antibacterial ointment. Once it started scabbing, she seemed fine.
Make sure she isn't bleeding. Not sure if it should be wrapped or not.

Permethrin will kill maggots on contact. Most feed stores have permethrin spray or the concentrate to mix with water. A horse product, SWAT which has pyrethrins, also works. I would remove any chicken with a wound to a place where there are no flies.

Most deep wounds are cleaned with Hibiclens and water, weak betadine, or saline, and keep moist withplain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. A clean towel or puppy pad is perfect for bedding in a dog crate when they wound is open. Deep wounds usually heal from the inside out as the tissue granulates in and comes together.

Permethrin will kill maggots on contact. Most feed stores have permethrin spray or the concentrate to mix with water. A horse product, SWAT which has pyrethrins, also works. I would remove any chicken with a wound to a place where there are no flies.

Most deep wounds are cleaned with Hibiclens and water, weak betadine, or saline, and keep moist withplain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. A clean towel or puppy pad is perfect for bedding in a dog crate when they wound is open. Deep wounds usually heal from the inside out as the tissue granulates in and comes together.
thanks for the wound healing info, the healing from the inside first. It's logical but when you see these wounds chickens can get, you sure wonder how they will make it! The 1st chicken wound this year, I could see the leg joint bare open. she made it somehow. I had to deal with maggots on her also and poured the weak iodine solution in it liberally. Hope most people know not to over do with the hydrogen peroxide as it will destroy the healthy tissue growing. It would be helpful to have a consolidated documentation of info maybe under 'articles'. We all seem to learn as we go and wing it and most of the chickens seem to make it somehow. They really are resilient.

Just an update. She has been drinking on her own since we elevated the waterer. And she seems to like the taste of the electrolytes. But she doesn't have much of an appetite. She drank a very little bit of blended cucumber and watermelon this morning. Isn't interested in doing much other than sleep.

Attachments

• JPEG_20200802_131912_4838528727926735933.jpg
    JPEG_20200802_131912_4838528727926735933.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 3
  • JPEG_20200802_132257_2084192626374586573.jpg
    JPEG_20200802_132257_2084192626374586573.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 1
Just an update. She has been drinking on her own since we elevated the waterer. And she seems to like the taste of the electrolytes. But she doesn't have much of an appetite. She drank a very little bit of blended cucumber and watermelon this morning. Isn't interested in doing much other than sleep.
Thanks for the update! Hope she keeps hanging in there. At least she is drinking. I think that is a good sign.

She is the 2nd one that got attacked and I narrowed it down to our inherited dog. whose days are numbered.

I hope that comment means you plan to rehome the dog and are not planning to kill the poor pup because she chases chickens. Most dogs will chase chickens if suitable fencing is not in place.

Back
Top Bottom