Bobcat in the daytime

GiddyUpGo

Chirping
Feb 11, 2021
We have a lot of predators in our area (foxes, raccoons, coyotes, even mountain lions and bears) but they've rarely been a problem for us. We free-range our chickens but always lock them up at night. Their coop is really secure. In the few years I've had chickens I've only lost one, and that was in the springtime when they ventured kind of far away from the house where there was a lot of tall, green grass. I'm pretty sure the fox that got our hen that time got her around dusk and since then I never let them out when we're not at home and they're always in before it starts to get dark.

That's worked for keeping them safe from nocturnal predators. Yesterday, though, I saw a bobcat up on our road at about 2:30pm. It's not totally unheard of to see them in the daytime but it did worry me enough that I didn't let the chickens out yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice for when/if to let chickens out when there's a bobcat walking around the neighborhood in broad daylight? I think I've read that they only come out during the day if they are food insecure (with hungry kittens or something) but also that they travel many miles during the day, so it's possible this bobcat isn't even still in the neighborhood. If it was you, would you keep the chickens in during the day for a few days or just not worry about it? Just because I saw this one doesn't mean there haven't always been bobcats wandering around in broad daylight. This time of year the chickens usually stick pretty close to the house so I don't really worry about predators too much.

I have had daytime bobcat activity too. It's so hard to say what's right but keeping them in and secure will at least ease your mind and 100 percent keep them safe. Ever since we had a bobcat kill a chicken, I've only been letting mine out with close supervision. You just never know and anything is possible. Best of luck!
Thanks, yeah I just feel for them when they start pacing the coop door thinking I’m letting them out! When they stay close to the house I think they’re probably pretty safe but there are definitely times of the year where they venture out towards the wilder parts of the yard and that’s when I worry. Bobcats can be especially brutal because they often kill more than one at a time.

Thanks, yeah I just feel for them when they start pacing the coop door thinking I’m letting them out! When they stay close to the house I think they’re probably pretty safe but there are definitely times of the year where they venture out towards the wilder parts of the yard and that’s when I worry. Bobcats can be especially brutal because they often kill more than one at a time.
Mine lay the guilt trip on me too! Pacing and crying. They know just how to get their way LOL

We free range our flock within a fence line. Our miniature donkey and three Shetland sheep share the field with them. We are in a low predator area -- only occasional transient coyotes, raccoons, and opossums. Our donkey has warded off several coyotes, none of which risked entering the fence line. However, the donkey did not pay any attention to the raccoon that chased our chickens through the field..

Guard animals are a big commitment, but they can be effective in protecting the "territory" when you're not around. It's an important distinction as our donkey doesn't really acknowledge that our chickens exist. He is solely protecting his territory and may or may not respond to a threat.

You could also probably install a T-post field fence for relatively cheap. Fences are not fool proof, but it would help obstruct and cut down on routine predator traffic through the area. The fewer the encounters, the lower the risk.

We have a lot of predators in our area (foxes, raccoons, coyotes, even mountain lions and bears) but they've rarely been a problem for us. We free-range our chickens but always lock them up at night. Their coop is really secure. In the few years I've had chickens I've only lost one, and that was in the springtime when they ventured kind of far away from the house where there was a lot of tall, green grass. I'm pretty sure the fox that got our hen that time got her around dusk and since then I never let them out when we're not at home and they're always in before it starts to get dark.

That's worked for keeping them safe from nocturnal predators. Yesterday, though, I saw a bobcat up on our road at about 2:30pm. It's not totally unheard of to see them in the daytime but it did worry me enough that I didn't let the chickens out yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice for when/if to let chickens out when there's a bobcat walking around the neighborhood in broad daylight? I think I've read that they only come out during the day if they are food insecure (with hungry kittens or something) but also that they travel many miles during the day, so it's possible this bobcat isn't even still in the neighborhood. If it was you, would you keep the chickens in during the day for a few days or just not worry about it? Just because I saw this one doesn't mean there haven't always been bobcats wandering around in broad daylight. This time of year the chickens usually stick pretty close to the house so I don't really worry about predators too much.
I have just had a Bobcat eat my entire flock in 4 months! It even took on 20 feet away from me at around 9:30 in the morning! I would be very concerned. Once he took the first chicken, my flock that had been safe for over a year became his fast food stop. Since I have yet to get the bobcat, AND the fact he got my whole flock I offer no hard advise, except be careful. We Live in Arkansas on a year-round stream, touching the national forest.

Back
Top Bottom