Bobcat took a layer

wow
shoot it or trap it or dispose of it somehow

or roof the top of your run and keep them inside.

there are not many options. roof means no fence jumping, fort knox coop will protect them---or eliminate the problem.

it stinks, I know. I battle something wanting to eat my chickens all the time~ something we chicken people have to live with I guess.

I am sorry. Now that the Buffet is open, the predator will stop at no end to finish the meals!

You can explore deterrants online (such as Night Guard lights for the night, useless during the day...and lots of other things have been suggested here on BYC)....playing a radio out loud on a talk show has also been suggested (depending on your affiliation, you may or may not want to influence your chickens appropriately)...certain obnoxious scents applied to the area...It all bears consideration. Securing your poultry in a tight and enclosed pen is worth it compared to the continued loss? And as I say, now that it has started, in broad daylight, it will continue.

Cats are smart, and the Buffet is Open!

Good luck in your battle, sorry for your loss!
Tina/tfpets

Last edited:
bansenji.. . you need to stop it NOW.. or it will comeback night after night untill you have no more....

jenski.. say what you want... it was hard to loose that many, i have learned many lessons.. and i hope my lose can help others too..
i had no help at home, to help me build and TOP a coop to lock them in... and i could NOT find anybody else to help me.. animalcontrol, zoos etc.. NOBODY would help!!!!
most of my chickens were behind 3 fences (but no tops).. i would say half were gone before i found out it was a CAT and not a coyote.. i saw the cat go after my goats too.. but the male goat fought back, and he had large horns (one reson i DONT dehorn my goats) i saw him actually smash the cat down,, i could not get a good shot, it was happening behind a tree.. i had to wait for the cat to go after the chickens again.. and after another week or so i shot him.. and i still have his SKULL...

lights DONT WORK after a week or so the preator gets used to them.. same with a RADIO...
right now i have LARGE yards (with no tops) BUT we do have karelian beardogs and 2 strands of hotwire (electric fence) on the tops of all fences..2 out of 4 coops i lock the chickens IN at night...i have not lost ONE chicken since..... my neighbor has tho..
i LOVE my hotwire... ZZAAAAPPPPSS the crud out of anything trying to eat my chickens!!!!!!!
it doesnt matter fox, coyote, bobcat, human all the same, if they try to jump/climb the fence they get ZZAPPED

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that
sad.png

But I must say I LOVE the arabian in your avatar!

Quote:
Actually, I dont use lights or radios either, I just say others suggest using them..I have yet to give them a try? Guess they might not work? My primary predator, which I believed was a bobcat at one time, was NOT, it turned out to be a SKUNK! I also have hotwire on the bottom, on most of the tops, and I lock the chickens IN at night as well.. I dont have those guard dogs, but Im considering the Pyrenees? I think the hotwire is a great deterrent for alot of predators!!
Tina

most people dont know or understand...the great pyrn. dog is a good idea BUT.. (talking to all ) you do not treat it like a PET.. a herd/flock guarding dog needs to bond with its flock.. you raise the puppy out in the barn/coop.. it is NOT a pet for you, do not bond with it.. yes you need to have it friendly enough for you to handle, take to the vet ect.. but it is not a pet for you..
lots of people have a problem with this.. just make sure you(anybody) do your reaserch before getting one

i have tried light.. jjeezzz we have lights everywhere.. some are motion sensored,, some are dusk/dawn...
and radios only work for a few days....

karelian beardogs.. they are great for keeping away ANY predator.. but like most hunting dogs, will eat the chickens as well..
one strand of hotwire keeps my dogs out of the hen houses.. but the KBD keep away anybody else looking for a hot chicken meal..
NO they are NOT bprder collies.. or border collie MIXES.. these have been bred for about 2-300 years in finland/russia and is most likely where the bordercollie came from...

18399_3beardogs.jpg

Quote:
Your dogs are beautiful!! BUT I dont want anymore dogs that EAT CHICKENS.
I do understood, If a person gets a livestock guardian dog, such as the pyrenees I referred to, it would need to be raised with the "flock" it needs to protect? People here think I'm nuts, but I had planned to keep it in the barn with my Llama and pig, oh, and one lone silkie - it can teethe or practice on that for while. I want it to protect my flock FROM my other dogs if thats possible, ummmm, who eat chickens, not just bobcats? Researching, happening oh about the past four years...not in a hurry.
Tina

Back
Top Bottom