How to "free range" chickens now that bobcat is around?

thewhimsicalflock

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
I posted a few days ago about two of our girls going missing without a trace (aside from some feathers).

We ended up finding my bluebell's feathers in a different spot where we have a camera. A bobcat got both of them. If you look at the back of the picture below, I already have a run setup but the girls are miserable. I am NOT going to free range them (despite that being their life for a year and a half) because I will not let any more of my girls get hurt. But long-term, I want to figure out what my options are.

- I can't get rid of the bobcat. I spoke with a friend from a sanctuary who suggested those "whacky inflatable arm" guys. She said she went to a seminar in Montana and they use those to keep big predators (wolves, cougars, bears) away. If anyone knows of any other way to keep bobcats away, I'm all ears.

- I can't keep my girls in their current environment. All they do is pace. In addition to the two remaining hens, I have three ducks (also in the run) and 6 chicks and 3 keets (in the smaller coop currently). I want to figure out how to utilize a huge part of the backyard (like half an acre) while keeping it predator proof. I haven't really found anything online. The moving runs aren't an option for us, the girls do not like them. Ideally, I can build something stationary on .5 an acre. Does anyone have predator proof, quarter-acre to half-acre builds? I had put the girls in with one of our goats for a little bit but watched them fly right out again.

1702470708409.png

I think what I'm looking at is an electric fence with t-posts, the coop on the inside, and then I just need a way of closing the space in from the top (if this helps).

Electric is going to be your best option. There's quite a few members here who have knowledge of that.
Why can't you trap the bobcat? Relocate or dispatch?
I know nothing of your local laws with bobcats but it would seem to at least be an ounce of prevention until you get your set up done.

Also just a suggestion, but supervised free ranging a couple of hours before dusk an option?
A big dog?
Just trying to fling 'things' out there and see what sticks 😉

Electric is going to be your best option. There's quite a few members here who have knowledge of that.
Why can't you trap the bobcat? Relocate or dispatch?
I know nothing of your local laws with bobcats but it would seem to at least be an ounce of prevention until you get your set up done.

Also just a suggestion, but supervised free ranging a couple of hours before dusk an option?
A big dog?
Just trying to fling 'things' out there and see what sticks 😉
That's exactly what I'm thinking re: electric. I'll probably do eight feet tall in the "orchard" directly behind the house.

I used to volunteer at a wolf sanctuary down here. We were on the other end re: dispatch and relocating. Now that I've been on a farm, I've 'switched sides' to some degree. I actually reached out to the woman who is still in charge of things over there for some advice, and she does not believe it's legal to do either one (I have not confirmed) but she also believes it's wrong from a moral standpoint. I'm on the fence about what I want to do. If it starts getting into the coop or threatening my kids I'm going to look into my options. At this point, I'm going to try and create a situation that protects my animals and children while letting the bobcat be.

And yes! We were planning on getting a pair of dogs previously and are just moving our timeframe up. I sent inquiries out the other day and will continue looking.

You could post a query in your state thread (you mentioned Montana?)
Or post a new thread in relation to trapping/dispatch/relocation laws.
I'm actually working on fencing in about the same area as you in the near future but my main predators are coons/possums/hawks being surrounded by crop fields here in Michigan. I hear coyotes on occasion but that's been well after dark and both my flocks are locked up safe.

So following your thread with interest to see what you plan out and execute.

Edited to add ... Posts in center to hold up aviary netting for overhead protection.

Last edited:
My business partner had a bobcat problem. Raised the fence to 10ft, and still actually saw the bobcat leap it in a single jump, grab a hen, and leap back over. Biggest bobcat he'd ever seen. He added a hot wire across the top of the 10 ft fence and was finally able to keep the bobcats out. They are a real challenge...

I would get an LGD and only raise tough chicken breeds for free-ranging. Trying to keep a bobcat out through fencing sounds completely futile

Are you not allowed to shoot a bobcat where you live? It's legal for a good part of the year where I live. To be clear, I'm not saying that I'd enjoy shooting a bobcat or consider that to be anything other than a last option but it is an option I'd consider.

Are you not allowed to shoot a bobcat where you live? It's legal for a good part of the year where I live. To be clear, I'm not saying that I'd enjoy shooting a bobcat or consider that to be anything other than a last option but it is an option I'd consider.
It's not that simple. By me it is legal to shoot a nuisance bobcat, but as you said nobody really wants to. It is illegal to relocate them. And they're tough to shoot. You spend hours waiting for them, and they are small and fast and camo'd.

Back
Top Bottom