Bobcat won't leave my chickens alone

So…I had a bobcat in my yard. It was about 6pm, starting to get dark. I’m not really afraid of it trying to get the chickens/ducks since they are very secure in their coop and run. What I’m mainly afraid of is it getting to my small dogs (5), none more than 20lbs.
Well, here in AZ, guns are legal. I felt kind of bad, but I snuck up behind the bobcat and shot it once. Did I kill it? Idk, but it jumped on the wall fence and limped away. Now granted it was hit with a hollow point round near the rear left hip, don’t think it will survive.
Did I like doing it? Not really. But have to protect what is mine. Interesting how it made it into this urban area without anyone lifting a brow. But then again javelinas do the same.
I would opt for an electric fence, but due to the structures as to how the community is built, that is not possible.

Based on where you said you hit him, I am sure you hit an artery. This would have caused the cat to bleed out almost immediately. You did what you had to do, don't beat yourself up over it. We sometimes have to do unpleasant things to protect our family, pets and livestock.

Back
Top Bottom