Bobcats making my life miserable

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cowdogcadillac, Oct 16, 2011.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    I have lost 3 turkeys up to 30 lbs and 3 chickens in a week to a large bobcat and a smaller one. They are avoiding my snares and live traps so far. I have foot traps and body traps coming . By having the coop perimeter fence electrified I think I have driven these cats to late morn hunt. They are coming in late morn and killing and dragging off turkeys and chickens. If birds are small enough they are going over a 6' chainlink fence and with larger birds they are dragging under where they have dug under. That's where I am setting snares. The prints are beyond a doubt bobcat. I've taken out several in the past 10 years. They are devastating on turkeys.I sit in my truck on the property with my 10/22 and wait but so far they are outsmarting me.Tomorrow I'm packing a lunch....all day baby!!! I hope they are as greedy as they are bold. Hopefully pics to follow tomorrow.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Best of luck for the hunt! I got wiped clean by raccoons so I feel your frustration! Hope you get em.

3. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    I wish it were Racoons man. They are easy....electric fence and live traps with marshmallows will sort them out quick. Use that for next time..

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That stinks! I agree though just sit out and wait, as soon as you see one BAM! And no more kitty. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chirping

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    Get a shot gun lol. The law is if the wild mess with you animal you have a right to shoot it.

6. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    sat out there 50 yards away in a ground blind from 6am till 2:30,,,no sign of kitty,,probably still full from big turkey meal the day before.......... Then I deployed secret evil plan#2------foot traps with a chicken (dead ) hanging above the traps. Let's see if tomorrow curiosity doesn't kill the cat

7. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    All bait stripped from posts. But i did relocate a raccoon that was in my live trap...to Heaven . Let's try this again. Re baited foot hold traps and wired bait to the posts with more wire. Photos tomorrow?

8. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Songster

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Get a carcass and contaminate it with poison for those bobcats and you will need to get a livestock guardian dog to protect your chickens and turkeys.

9. Moochie

Moochie Songster

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Run outside with a shovel in hand, flail it around in your arms, make a bunch of weird ooga-booga noises, and if you do that everytime you see them on your property they may stop coming back. I do it with a regular sized cat.
    Okay, that's dangerous.. Just carry some mace if they decide your lunch too. Or tabasco.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Songster

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:What about if birds or other animals get to it first. Sorry that just would not do.

I was thinking to lengthen the chain link fence on the bottom and bury it down around and cover the run with link fence if need be. But get those suckers first!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by