Bobwhite breeding ratio

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Byrdj, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Is it better to have two pair of bobwhites or one rooster and three hens per breeding pen? I've read that bobwhites are monogomous so I'm confused. Would the rooster breed with all three hens if he were in the same pen? If so, I don't see the advantage of keeping two pair instead of one rooster and three hens, since you can't get eggs from the extra rooster.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The breeder I visited had 1 roo to 3 hen ratio. He is a big name breeder, so I recon he knows the best way to raise them.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you want to raise them like commercial breeders, 3:1 is common. If you want to raise them and simulate their natural breeding cycles, then you want 1:1. From what I understand, when they are 1:1 you get a chance they will brood out their own young.

Here is an article I stumbled on...
    http://www.thatquailplace.com/articles/index.php?id=8

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    In the wild they do pair up. In the large cages I run two hen per one rooster.

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Good question - Good thread. This is something I was gonna ask also. Not to get technical, (and not to hijack the thread), but what could be the results of putting ... just say ... 3 hens per roo vs. 2 hens per roo? I've heard only 1:1 ..... all the way to 4:1 (hens:roo). I'm a little confused???

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Lot depend on the males, if you have to many hen you may have some hens that dont get bred.(lower hatch rate) good thing the more hens the less stress on them.

With my snowflake I keep in pairs, to get the most fertile eggs. Know some breeders keep 3:1 still have over 80% Fetile eggs.

With colony breeding more hens, better for the hens. even for the males less fighting. only fault would be lower fertile eggs.
    Remember hen will only need bred once a week.

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    When I got mine, the guy said that I would have good luck with 4 females and 1 male...

I havent gotten eggs yet, but I hope that they are fertile!! [​IMG]

8. GunRunnergundogs.com

GunRunnergundogs.com New Egg

Nov 28, 2009
    I mostly colony breed and I run my flocks about 2 to 1.
    2 hens to every male with about 40 to 50 total birds per colony.
    I will usually throw in a couple extra males just for good measure.

Thanks
    Kenny

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Generally you should have 3-4 to 1 in a colony breeding cage you can have as many as you have room for
    In breeder cage no more than 2 to 1
    I keep mine at 1 to 1
    I also have colony breeders i keep around 25 birds in only 5 are males
    Remember the more males the more risk of fighting with too few hens
    If you get too many hens you lose fertility and your wasting time breeding that way
    One male will breed or try to breed however many hens you give him he can only manage 3-4 consistantly and thats what you should be trying to acomplish ( right)

MIKE

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  10. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Sorry for the dumb, newby question but will they hatch and raise their own or does everyone put their eggs in incubators?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by