Bobwhite cant stand

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
I have a Butler Bobwhite quail that wont stand up. I just got 3 breeding pairs today and this female just lays down when I set her in the cage. She seemed fine when I picked them up at the guys house. The birds were getting beat up by each other. I separated them into breeding pairs when I got home. It almost seems like her hip area is like broken the way she walks, and I don't know if shes just too heavy for her legs to support her. Anyone have any ideas? I gave her poly-v-sol in her water

Bryan

Last edited:
If it's the hip that's broken then I don't know if there is much you or I can do. But she could also be adjusting if you just got her, small things can be very scary and shocking to quail. Does she feel cold? Maybe you didn't notice till you got home and it's just something that's been like that since she was a chick or possibly mishandling? If she seems like she is in pain then take her to the vet, but if you can't my option would be to cull her if she doesn't get better...

She probably either hit her head during a fight or was bullied off the water. Head injuries and nerve damage from not drinking are usually the cause of standing/walking issues.

Back
Top Bottom