Bobwhite chicks picking on each other...help

bietsch624

Songster
15 Years
Nov 28, 2008
Other than separating everyone in separate brooders, which I can't do; does anyone have any ideas to get bobwhite chicks to stop picking on each other? I've had a couple killed and now I have three of 5 with bloody beaks.

If I couldnt move them to larger spaces, I would cool them down some, and change my light to red.... moving to bigger\\less crowded quarters is the only real answer thou... Bill

I can do that. I have them in a smaller sized rubber made container. I have another size about twice as bit that I use for my chicken chicks. I'll try this. I really appreciate your help.

Bob's are an aggressive breed of quail. The first thing as said in an above post is lower the temp in the brooder. This was always the first sign in my brooders that the temp needed lowering when they were picking on each other. So lower the temp 5 degrees. And DEFINITELY use a RED heat lamp. Those white lamps cause excitability in chicks. The red color seems to settle them down and also allows for natural sleep at night.

Another thing you can do is give them something to do while growing up. Put some cut branches from your trees outside in the brooder for them pick and climb on. You can take a cereal box and cut off one of the larger sides and a small side and lay it down so they can get inside. Put some sand or dirt in there, throw in some chick feed, dried leaves, anything for them to play around and explore. Chicks get bored in the brooder and need things to do, and if they have other things to pick on, they are less likely to pick on each other.

Good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
I have red lights on mine, does seem to help, 3+ weeks and no pecking or MDKs yet. plenty of "high protein" food and clean water., clean the brooders regularly and check their feet for dried poop balls on the toenails, that will tick anyone off enough to kill someone.

As a matter of fact, I gave a big nasty hen, a purdy new nose ring just today... She was the only one in the pen with any tail feathers. She is not a happy camper, but I have'nt heard any bird vocalize in pain since.... WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! Bill

I had a great butler hatch!

Had 9 chicks in a 3' x 2' box. They started hatching Sunday but most on Monday so 5 days old. Yesterday one's rear was pecked to the point of being bloody. Think it was the last to hatch on Tuesday.

Removed that one to a single small box. Today it seems to not be able to roll off it's back.

Know I read about sick chicks on their backs when I started reading this forum. Have not found it yet. Fear I remember a total loss in that case.

---

Added a small box with one open side and grit to entertain the remaining 8. Right now they are in a sunny room with a red heat light to keep them warm.

Should I move them to the basement and keep them under just the red light?

Got the plastic bits but do not want to use them but if it saves one life.
he.gif
Would like two breeding pairs for future hatches. Three pairs would be better. How young is to young for bits?

Back
Top Bottom