Bobwhite has segragated herself.. is poofy constantly--need advice..

Well I've given her vitamins and electrolytes in the water and she's still the same. Lots of greens...basically she'll run over to the greens with the others, then just stand there hunched over and poofy while the others eat off of whatever it is. Occasionally she'll take a bite or two from the greens, but not much more. She's not losing any weight that I can tell, and I often see her at the feeder eating so we'll see...
hu.gif
I'll
fl.gif
that everything will be ok.

Last edited:
This Definately Sounds Like Bullying--- According To The Posting Date It Has Been At Least 2 Wks Since You Posted This Problem.... If It Were Illness She Should Have Succumb To By Now. I Think She Has Been Outcast And Simply Survives That Way By Trying To Stay Away From Everybody Else. Wait Til They Are All Busy And Run In And Grab A Bite To Eat, Or A Drink, Maybe Any Leftover Tid Bits Of Treats....

Bobs, Much Like Teenage Human Girls, Can Be Wicked Mean To Each Other

So if it is bullying, what should I do?? I have 4 females and 2 males. I have the ability to divide them, but hadn't considered that until just now. Any suggestions?

I'm out there quite often and have never seen any type of bullying so I couldn't even pinpoint who is doing it.....ugh...suggestions?? Or is this just how it's going to be? I've read bobs are the junkyard dogs, but I thought that that was only when they were breeding......

Bobs Are The Junkyard Dogs Of The Quail World---- Thats On A Good Day When Its Not Breeding Season.... Dont Ask About Bad Days I Cant Put Them Into Words You Could Appreciate... You'd Just Have To Witness The Carnage For Yourself. Yu Can Try Isolating Her From The Rest Of The Covey... And See If She Doesnt Get A Little Better. Note= Bobs Heal Much Slower Than Coturnix. Give Her A Solitary Place And Let Her Be... If She Continues To Imrove Then You Will Know If It Is Bullying Or Not, And Before Spring Give Her 1 Of The Boyz... Before Spring= Late December/ Early January- When Its Not Breeding Season, This Will Give Them Both Time To Settle In And Get Along Before Breeding Begins.

With Bobs Bullying Can Be Difficult To Sort Out... Often Times Its A Rowdy Dominant Male At This Age, Later Once Mature The Hens Can Be Quite Nasty To Each Other And The Males Nice To The Hens. And Then Every So Often You End Up With A "bertha" Now Bertha Is 1 Of My Biggest Girls, And My Most Difficult Hen. Kept In Solitary Most Of The Yr, But During Breeding Season She Gets A New Beau Every 3 Days Or So---- Just Beats The Livin Snot Of Them Boyz. About 3 Days Is All They Can Take Without Sustaining Serious Damage. I Keep A Bachelor Pen Here And Just Rotate All The Lads Thru Bertha--- Every One's Gotta Stand Up And Take 1 For The Team.

Bobs While Beautiful And Vocal Can Be As Nasty As Anything With Feathers And More Nasty Than 1/2 The Stuff Out There Without Feathers. Community Relations With These Guys Is Always A Crap Shoot With The Peace Lasting Permanently, Or Just For About 30 Seconds--- Ya Just Never Know...

I've decided to isolate her...I spent quite a bit of time out there with them yesterday and I think that would be best for her right now. I think I've narrowed down the culprit...a female picking at her so hopefully I can get her feeling a little bit better.

Thanks for all of the help!

Back
Top Bottom