Bobwhite permit rules in Ohio

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DoubletakeFarm, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I want to raise some Bobwhites and from what I understand I have to have a permit through ODNR. $25/yr if I'm raising them for myself, $40/yr if I want to sell the birds or eggs. I don't mind paying that, but I have a few questions and would appreciate if someone in Ohio could answer them.

I don't understand this part:

1533.75 Fee for game or wildlife sold for consumption.
    The division of wildlife shall receive and collect a nominal sum for each tag or seal
    affixed to the carcasses of game birds, game quadrupeds, fur-bearing animals, and nonnative wildlife as provided in sections 1533.73, 1533.731, and 1533.74 of the Revised
    Code. Each tag or seal shall remain affixed until the carcass of the game bird, game
    quadruped, fur-bearing animal, or nonnative wildlife is finally prepared for consumption,
    and the sale of a portion of a game bird, game quadruped, fur-bearing animal, or nonnative
    wildlife that does not at the time have affixed thereto the tag or seal constitutes a violation
    of those sections. The keeper of a hotel, restaurant, or boarding house, a retail dealer in
    meat, or a club may sell a portion of a game bird, game quadruped, fur-bearing animal,
    or nonnative wildlife so tagged to a guest, customer, or member for consumption.

What is the fee? They charge you $10 for 100 tags-is that what they're talking about? Or is the person who buys the quail supposed to turn it in? I'm very confused.

Also, do they come out and inspect your pens? Just wondering. They seem to make it awfully complicated.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You need to contact your fish and game dept and get answers from them.If you think their laws are complicated and you ask someone else,it may just be that persons interpritation of the laws.You are best to write down any questions you have and bring it with you,and don't be afraid to ask any question,because if you try something they see wrong,who knows what they will do.
    That 1533.75,it that fee?Or a permit number?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Here in California, we have a similar Code, but like what Tony K T said, it's best to check on your question with your wildlife game agency for the real answers. My interpretation of the $10 for 100 tags is for domesticated game meat that is sold for consumption. I've never bought the seal/tag in my State because I don't sell gamebird meat but I think it's purpose is so that when someone is buying the meat, the seal/tag is evidence that it is domesticated gamebird meat and not wild gamebird meat (it's illegal to sell hunted gamebird/mammal, well at least here in Cali). As for the fee to keep domesticated game, I'm leaning towards your stated $25 as the fee for keeping gamebirds because here in California, the fee for a domesticated gamebreeders license is a little over $20. I think the 1533.73 is the Section number in your State's Fish and Game Code book.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, these things are complicated. They are trying to protect the wild Bob populations in your area AND make a buck. And yes, you need to contact your fish and game department. They are in charge of all this stuff and will clear up any questions about the fees.

Here in New Mexico they DO come out and inspect your pens and aviaries. So if Ohio does inspections, make sure your pens are not only clean, but no hodge-podge building of things. Here in NM, if they don't like the way it is built, they will make you do it right, come back as many times as it takes before they give you the license.

5. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I live in Virginia, and according to the department of game, they say they can/will come inspect your facilities. Up to date, I have never had the first game warden come for an inspection. As long as you maintain your animals as they should be, and keep they're pens/cages clean, then you have nothing to worry about should they ever come.

6. DoubletakeFarm

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Wow, okay. The thing is I don't really want to sell them-not to a restaurant or anything. But I figured once friends found out I had them they would want some. Maybe sell some to my amish neighbors to recoup some cost. I mentioned it to someone at work and she talked to me for 20 minutes about how tasty quail is so maybe there is a market for them. I'll have to do something with the extra ones. I'll talk to ODNR and see what they say. I can't imagine them saying "well, we say we inspect but we don't actually do it because we're too busy." That's why I wanted people's experiences.

I don't know what bobwhite population they think they're trying to protect because it's almost non-existent here anymore. I really wish we still had them around.

And the 1533.73 is the code section-I just copied and pasted.

Thanks for the responses!

7. SiTran

SiTran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    If its a private sale, and the people you sell it to doesn't report it, then what are you afraid of? Just don't take it to the farmer's market and sell it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. DoubletakeFarm

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I talked to the Department of Natural Resources this morning and they were very nice and layed back about it (and they didn't seem to think I was crazy for wanting bobwhites). They are mailing me a packet with an application and the rules and told me if I have any questions after reading it to call them. They said the publication I was reading online is old and the packet will cover everything I need to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by