Bobwhite quail piling up

Thanks all!

I put the lid halfway over the tub and dropped the light way down.
They're starting to spread out some!!

Next time (If there is a next time!) I think I'll put them in the hatcher for the first several days, since they seem to like it SO hot!! That way they can warm up and recover from their road trip!

Yup, they like warm and toasty, especially after shipping. After they spread out really good, one will wind up separated from the pack and the "woo-Woo-WOo-WOO-WOO!" whistling will start. You'll love it :|

If you use wood shavings get them out of area. They eat the wood shavings and they cannot digest the pine shavings so they pile up and die from a belly ache I presume. Hard lesson to learn bit once you change wood shavings out for straw(preferably wheat straw) they should act more normal. Only exception is when I hatch the giant/larger quail varieties they do the pile up and smother each other for no apparent reason and temp or area sizè food and water will not stop it from happening. All you can do is check them every 15 minutes until they out grow it . I have some 5 weeks old and list 36 in last 2 days do it out of the blue so I consider it a giant breed thing. Order twice as many eggs as u need to get end up with what u want.
I raise 7500 quail per summer and they are prone to hsri cari in the giant breeds. Normal sized quail I never have this problem.
Live and learn by the lumps on the way.

Back
Top Bottom