Bobwhite & Snowflake Bobwhite

LuluBubu

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2020
Hey All! I've recently learned about snowflake bobwhite quail and found someone selling mating pairs. Expensive little buggers though.... I've read they're a Mexican speckled bobwhite with a color mutation that was isolated and then bred into production. My question is.... can you raise them along with other bobwhites in the same pen or do they have to be separated by their coloring?

Hey All! I've recently learned about snowflake bobwhite quail and found someone selling mating pairs. Expensive little buggers though.... I've read they're a Mexican speckled bobwhite with a color mutation that was isolated and then bred into production. My question is.... can you raise them along with other bobwhites in the same pen or do they have to be separated by their coloring?
They can be paired with other colors, but they're monogamous so have to be kept in mated pair groups, will fight each other because the colony breaks up in the spring. Mine tried to kill an odd male in the group pen recently, I had to turn him loose. Time for pairing quickly approaching. @007Sean knows quail...

They can be paired with other colors, but they're monogamous so have to be kept in mated pair groups, will fight each other because the colony breaks up in the spring. Mine tried to kill an odd male in the group pen recently, I had to turn him loose. Time for pairing quickly approaching. @007Sean knows quail...

awesome, thanks for the response! I have a breeding pair coming in the next couple of days, but was contemplating getting another female just in case i have an eager male. The pen I'm building will have a section that will allow me to separate any of the quail if any get too aggressive towards another so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before making my decision so thanks again for your input :).

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, just saw the 'tag'.

If your enclosure is huge and I mean really huge, then you can raise several pairs in that enclosure.
l had two pair in a rather small enclosure of 360 sq.ft., it was extremely brushy with native plants.
You can read about it here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/23382511

Back
Top Bottom