Bobwhite Snowflake quails...boys or girls?

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Hello!

I think I know the answer to this but I'm looking for confirmation.....I have 3 Bobwhites that I hatched and I am fairly sure they are all boys :-( Much as I love the little trio I was hoping for some girls! They are currently 11 weeks old. So questions are a) am I correct and b) how many girls do I need to source to keep them happily living together? They will mainly be kept as pets but I may hatch some gees out at a later stage. At the moment they are living in the house but will be moving out into the garden in Spring.

Attachments

• 20201212_115445.jpg
    20201212_115445.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201212_115443.jpg
    20201212_115443.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 27

007Sean

Face it, Embrace it, Ace it, Replace it
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
The question should be how many males do I need....it appears you have 1 male and 2 hens!
Bob's do best as pairs but can be kept in a community enclosure if it is a large aviary enclosure. Another male for the other hen and in a large enclosure will most likely work out just fine....(both pairs in the same enclosure) the trio might work out just fine too! It's a 'hit or miss' proposition when having odd numbers of males to female ratios.
Introducing another male may also cause a fight between the two males!

You'd have a better chance of them all getting along if they were raised together from hatching.
HTH

Last edited:

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
The question should be how many males do I need....it appears you have 1 male and 2 hens!
Bob's do best as pairs but can be kept in a community enclosure if it is a large aviary enclosure. Another male for the other hen and in a large enclosure will most likely work out just fine....(both pairs in the same enclosure) the trio might work out just fine too! It's a 'hit or miss' proposition when having odd numbers of males to female ratios.
Introducing another male may also cause a fight between the two males!

You'd have a better chance of them all getting along if they were raised together from hatching.
HTH
Oh really?? That's amazing news and not what I was expecting at all :weeI'll see how they do as a trio as they have been together since they hatched and if I have problems I'll source another male. Out of interest in the photos which is the male? There is one that I was sure was a male from early on so I'd be interested to know if I was at least correct on that front 😅

007Sean

Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
Oh really?? That's amazing news and not what I was expecting at all :weeI'll see how they do as a trio as they have been together since they hatched and if I have problems I'll source another male. Out of interest in the photos which is the male? There is one that I was sure was a male from early on so I'd be interested to know if I was at least correct on that front 😅
The one in the center is male.
2419350-1304735fb6358e776754beabf6527ca2.jpg

007Sean

Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Oct 25, 2015
South Central Texas
How can you tell quail male from female?
Here's a pic of a male and female Snowflake Bob's. The difference in the color of head feathering is the indicating factor on sex. Although the male in @Mini_field_farm , pic has not got it's adult plumage yet, it's enough to tell it's sex.
f55ff0cb61591ee78595f742b029df56--quails-welt.jpg

Male on left, female right

Last edited:

Top Bottom