Bobwhite Snowflake quails...boys or girls?

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Hello!

I think I know the answer to this but I'm looking for confirmation.....I have 3 Bobwhites that I hatched and I am fairly sure they are all boys :-( Much as I love the little trio I was hoping for some girls! They are currently 11 weeks old. So questions are a) am I correct and b) how many girls do I need to source to keep them happily living together? They will mainly be kept as pets but I may hatch some gees out at a later stage. At the moment they are living in the house but will be moving out into the garden in Spring.

Attachments

• 20201212_115445.jpg
    20201212_115445.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 20201212_115443.jpg
    20201212_115443.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 142
The question should be how many males do I need....it appears you have 1 male and 2 hens!
Bob's do best as pairs but can be kept in a community enclosure if it is a large aviary enclosure. Another male for the other hen and in a large enclosure will most likely work out just fine....(both pairs in the same enclosure) the trio might work out just fine too! It's a 'hit or miss' proposition when having odd numbers of males to female ratios.
Introducing another male may also cause a fight between the two males!

You'd have a better chance of them all getting along if they were raised together from hatching.
HTH

Last edited:
The question should be how many males do I need....it appears you have 1 male and 2 hens!
Bob's do best as pairs but can be kept in a community enclosure if it is a large aviary enclosure. Another male for the other hen and in a large enclosure will most likely work out just fine....(both pairs in the same enclosure) the trio might work out just fine too! It's a 'hit or miss' proposition when having odd numbers of males to female ratios.
Introducing another male may also cause a fight between the two males!

You'd have a better chance of them all getting along if they were raised together from hatching.
HTH
Oh really?? That's amazing news and not what I was expecting at all :weeI'll see how they do as a trio as they have been together since they hatched and if I have problems I'll source another male. Out of interest in the photos which is the male? There is one that I was sure was a male from early on so I'd be interested to know if I was at least correct on that front 😅

Oh really?? That's amazing news and not what I was expecting at all :weeI'll see how they do as a trio as they have been together since they hatched and if I have problems I'll source another male. Out of interest in the photos which is the male? There is one that I was sure was a male from early on so I'd be interested to know if I was at least correct on that front 😅
The one in the center is male.
2419350-1304735fb6358e776754beabf6527ca2.jpg

How can you tell quail male from female?
Here's a pic of a male and female Snowflake Bob's. The difference in the color of head feathering is the indicating factor on sex. Although the male in @Mini_field_farm , pic has not got it's adult plumage yet, it's enough to tell it's sex.
f55ff0cb61591ee78595f742b029df56--quails-welt.jpg

Male on left, female right

Last edited:
Here's a pic of a male and female Snowflake Bob's. The difference in the color of head feathering is the indicating factor on sex. Although the male in @Mini_field_farm , pic has not got it's adult plumage yet, it's enough to tell it's sex.
View attachment 2453534
Male on left, female right
Thank you for taking the time to tell me!! That’s awesome!

Back
Top Bottom