Bobwhite update: sexing them

So it would not be a good idea to put 2 or 3 female in with one male? Can I put 2 males and 2 female together?
If you have a very large enclosure, you can. They will all get along fine in the fall and winter when quail in the wild will covey up. Come spring time the males will fight over territory or females, that's when they begin to pair up for the breeding season.
If raising them in small pens, then it's best to just have pairs.

Okay I will have to take a closer look to find out who is who. When I do can I put a male and female in the pen together. Will they pair up toghter?
Most likely they will, especially if they were raised together. But there are exceptions to every situation.

So it would not be a good idea to put 2 or 3 female in with one male? Can I put 2 males and 2 female together?

Most likely they will, especially if they were raised together. But there are exceptions to every situation.

Each situation is different. Ive only had luck keeping them in pairs during breeding season and have seen paired hens kill a third hen. Big spaces work with multiple birds if they have space to hide and get away from each other. Just keep an eye on things. Generally birds raised together are more tolerant of each other.

Bobs take anywhere from 6 months to a year to mature to breeding and egg laying. First year Bobs are more laid back, as they age they can become more aggressive.

Is it to late for them to start laying this year. OR can I keep them in the house, and fool them into starting lay?
Yes, they won't lay until this coming breeding season. It's best not to try and "force" them to lay. Laying eggs is hard on female quail, takes lots of vitamins and minerals out of their system producing their eggs. Bobwhite's are seasonal breeders, they will lay in the spring, depending on your location that could be from May to June and continue laying until September.

okay, I will just need to make sure I have one of each in a pen by that time. :)

Feed is:

Blue Sky Multi-Flock
*Chick N Game Starter/Grower: Protein - 22% | Fat - 3.5% | Fiber - 4%

Back
Top Bottom