Bobwhite X Coturnix Cross

Byrdj

Songster
Dec 7, 2008
Commerce, GA
Is it possible to breed Bobwhites with Coturnix? If so will the offspring be sterile? I seems that most people think Bobwhites taste better than Coturnix, but it takes longer for for Bobs to mature and they don't get along with each other as well as Coturnix. If they cross, I'm thinking you would get a larger, better tasting bird than a pure coturnix without the negatives of raising Bobs. Would I just be better off raising A & M's because I would lose egg production also?

I may be wrong but i dont think they will cross. i have A&Ms and the wild color coturnex. i also am raising for meat and i much prefer the wild color because i can sex them early on and put them eather back in the breeding program or in the meat pen

The Cross You're Inquiring About Is Called A "bob Bird" It Occurs When A Bob Hen Is Covered By A Coturnix Roo--- These Are Available From A Few Sources. Unsure If The Offspring Are Sterile Or Not But Do A Google Search And See What Pops Up...

Yes, "bob birds" are a cross between bobwhites and coturnix. Not really sure how the cross is achieved.
They are true MULES, because the offspring are sterile.
Stromberg's sold the eggs at one time, as well as an upstart hatchery that puts stealth ads in the forum from time to time.

Is it possible? YES!

They are true MULES, because the offspring are sterile.

Ahhhh. Just like when you cross a Muscovy duck with a mallard derived duck breed. Gotcha.​

Quote:
Ahhhh. Just like when you cross a Muscovy duck with a mallard derived duck breed. Gotcha.

Not sure if you have me or not, because I know little about ducks, but when you breed a coturnix with a bobwhite, you get a MULE, hybrid.

Thanks everyone for your imput. This is a great forum. Looks like I have a new project. I'll let you guys know the results.

ot sure if you have me or not, because I know little about ducks, but when you breed a coturnix with a bobwhite, you get a MULE, hybrid.

Yes. Muscovy ducks and mallard derived ducks (pekins, rouens, khaki's, runners, etc... in fact most domestic ducks) are actually different species (there was a common ancestor, but millions of years back there was a split). When you breed them their offspring are sterile. Just like breeding a horse with a donkey and ending up with mules.

From what I could find, bobwhites are "New World Quail" (Odontophoridae) and Coturnix are "Old World Quail" (Phasianidae). So there is enough of a relation for cross breeding, but not enough for the offspring to remain fertile.​

Back
Top Bottom