Body Language

I agree with Goosebaby. What you are describing is courting behavior. I had a hatchery quality african gander who was extremely bonded with me and acted that way his whole life until he sadly passed last year at 9yo. If he gets too pushy with nibbling, etc., then pick him up like a baby and carry him around. It works like a charm.

I have a few white africans. They are wonderful birds. Their overall size, thickness through neck, and shape of knob are different from chinese.
View attachment 2999487
I think the knob on my new girls nose looks different from the Africans above.

Attachments

• 20220220_091738.jpg
    20220220_091738.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I started this morning looking up African Geese and I got interested in this thread.

One of my male geese, either Embden or Pilgrim. I bought five from Metzer a year ago so I do not know exactly what they all are except Curley the Sebastopol.

Leonard was bathing in one of the small pools I have for the geese while I was doing something nearby. I went to pet him on the chest and he started quivering and mewing, then he hopped out of the pool and began to try to mate with me. This is the only way I can describe his actions. He left large bruises on the back of my legs and some nasty bite marks on my arms. My husband saw all this, otherwise I doubt he would have believed me.

Leonard is a very sweet and normally very quiet goose. He was smitten with my one female, probably a female Embden, but he lost out to the largest goose. I rehomed Millard suspecting he was the reason Tilly would not sit on her eggs. The next day, Leonard and Tilly were mating and about a week later she was sitting on four eggs. She is due to hatch within the next week I am guessing. Leonard will make a great father.

Back
Top Bottom