Boer goats as pets?

I think they do! We had a goat a few years back that we names BoDangles (it was a male
wink.png
). He was really sweet and REALLY mischevious! He didn't like to be 'caught' but he would follow us around everywhere.

I can't give you a complete answer, as you might handle your goats differently than I do. We have a huge Boer Buck that is a baby. You just have to start early and become dominant with a buck. We are just now working on 2 doelings and they are coming around quite nicely. We also have a huge Boer/Lamancha Doe that came to us recently and we are having to work hard to tame her down, but it is possible!

Chris

Absolutely!! I might recommend getting a wether instead of a doe, unless you plan on breeding. Wethers make great pets, without the stink of a billy!! They're also a lot cheaper, typically.

We have boer goats:) This is our first year having them on our property, but they are GREAT! They require a bit more patience in the beginning unless they are handled a lot. Here's Sammy and Tony:)

DSC_0101.jpg

Dairy Goats:)
DSC_0088.jpg

Last edited:
They sound just fine I just did not know because they are meat goats and there is a field down from our property that has 2 bucks and they are HUGE and scary lol. What about nubian I would actually prefer a nubian

I brought home my first goat about 6 weeks ago (against my husband's wishes, of course) and she is a boer. She was just a few days old and I had not a clue how to take care of her until a friend came and gave me some pointers. She is on a bottle and up until the weekend she slept in the house in a pet carrier, now I have her in a bigger cage and she lives in the garage. She follows us everywhere and gets into everything, but we have enjoyed every minute of having her! Even my husband has come around and spoils her more than I do. She loves car rides and thinks the riding lawn mower is hers. She naps in the seat and tries to drive it when she is awake!

Quote:
The Nubians are another great companion goat. You have to get two for sure though. They can be a bit noisy, but my roosters are noisier than they are. Nubians just love to get attention!

Chris

We have a Boer wether (Sonny), a Boer/Nubian cross baby doe (Cher) and an Alpine doe (Mischief). The wether is a bottle baby and will snuggle up to you and follow you all over. The baby was supposed to be a bottle baby but she was wild and took some taming. She's a baby to us but shes about six months old. 90% of the time you can walk up to her ... the rest of the time she runs and acts horrible. The Alpine was a 4-H goat and is a total love junkie. She follows you also. Just take your time and make a nice pet out of your new goatie!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom