Boiled eggs

madissoncarder

Hatching
Nov 26, 2015
I boiled eggs for thanksgiving lastnight. I have Rhode Island Red hens and we let our eggs stay out of the fridge at room temp. Theese eggs had only been sitting out for appx. 3 days. When we peeled them the egg whites were tinted brown and the yoke was very dark and able to be seen underneath. We are new to brown eggs so is this normal for fresh brown eggs ?

I boiled eggs for thanksgiving lastnight. I have Rhode Island Red hens and we let our eggs stay out of the fridge at room temp. Theese eggs had only been sitting out for appx. 3 days. When we peeled them the egg whites were tinted brown and the yoke was very dark and able to be seen underneath. We are new to brown eggs so is this normal for fresh brown eggs ?

Was it a greyish/greenish brown? If so then it's probably been overcooked and/or not chilled/cooled in cold running water immediately after cooking. It has to do with hydrogen and sulfur and iron reacting in the egg read about it here and happens with any color egg:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodcookingchemistry/f/Why-Do-Egg-Yolks-Turn-Green.htm

I read somewhere that if you make a crack in the egg after it's cooked and while it's chilling in cold water greatly reduces this phenomenon as it releases the gasses and cools the egg a little quicker.

Last edited:
A pic would help.....never heard of brownish albumen.

Not sure what this means ..."and the yoke was very dark and able to be seen underneath"
You mean seen thru the white part of the boiled egg? That can happen if the yolk is off center.

Were all the egg like that or just one or two?
Had the eggs been refrigerated before setting at room temp for 3 days?

Was it a greyish/greenish brown? If so then it's probably been overcooked and/or not chilled/cooled in cold running water immediately after cooking. It has to do with hydrogen and sulfur and iron reacting in the egg read about it here and happens with any color egg:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodcookingchemistry/f/Why-Do-Egg-Yolks-Turn-Green.htm

I read somewhere that if you make a crack in the egg after it's cooked and while it's chilling in cold water greatly reduces this phenomenon as it releases the gasses and cools the egg a little quicker.
I think you're absolutely right! They did get over done. We did a second batch and they look normal!

I think you're absolutely right! They did get over done. We did a second batch and they look normal!

Excellent. Mystery solved
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom