Boiled Eggs

I had a horrible time with peeling my fresh eggs and I've had chickens off and on for years too. Then I read about egg cookers and realized they were just egg steamers. I started putting a strainer in a large pot with some water in the bottom and covering it with a big lid. Boom! Ghetto egg steamer. It works great.

I had a horrible time with peeling my fresh eggs and I've had chickens off and on for years too. Then I read about egg cookers and realized they were just egg steamers. I started putting a strainer in a large pot with some water in the bottom and covering it with a big lid. Boom! Ghetto egg steamer. It works great.
Yep, I just use my big pot with a steamer insert...pull out the insert, plunge it in the ice water.

Place large eggs into boiling water for 15 min, then straight to ice water for 10 min. Most will slip right out of the shell.

I think that this is largely dependent on the type of chicken (egg) and the age. I never had issues with peeling eggs until I got chickens. The eggs are so fresh that they stick to the shell -- the only eggs I have had any luck peeling are from our Barred Rock. All of the others were really hard to peel -- the Australorp and New Hampshire Reds were impossible -- I was left with bits of egg no matter what I tried (salt, baking soda, vinegar, cold water to start, hot water to start, 10, 15 minutes -- always an ice water bath to stop cooking). Steaming make them all a BREEZE -- the shells slip right off.

Back
Top Bottom