Bonding a hen with 2 pullets?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I have a Dutch bantam who recently lost her bonded friend. They were together 24/7 and she is now alone. I want to help her bond with 2 bantam pullets so she has company again within the larger flock.

Can this be done safely?

Could I add her to the brooder for a few minutes of supervised time with the 6 week old pullets and just continue to increase the time each day? If it can be done, any estimates on how long it would take?

I'd really love to get some advice before just doing it. And if anyone has experience, good or bad, I would really appreciate your sharing.

Thanks!

This is a good age for you to introduce the new pullets to the entire flock, but you need a period where they can all see each other but not touch first.
If your bantam is low in the pecking order she may not particularly bond with them as she’ll see them as competitors. Earlier integration of chicks is often better to avoid some of that.

6 weeks old is still rather young. I’d keep them separated in a look not touch situation until the littles are a bit bigger. It might work out but one of the little ones could get hurt badly if it doesn’t go well.
Thank you. They have been in their brooder inside the coop for a few weeks now so they sleep with the bantams, just in their own space. And I would literally be standing with them the entire interaction.

This is a good age for you to introduce the new pullets to the entire flock, but you need a period where they can all see each other but not touch first.
If your bantam is low in the pecking order she may not particularly bond with them as she’ll see them as competitors. Earlier integration of chicks is often better to avoid some of that.
Thank you. And yes, I worry she will see them as competition because she is lower. But they have been sleeping together and she lays in the nest box right next to the chick's run. They have definitely seen and interacted on some levels at this point. I've only ever introduced chicks/birds to a flock in pairs or trios so they were bonded and had each other to figure things out with.

I am horrible at projecting my human feelings onto my animals. Tico needs a friend, she just looks so lonely and sad since loosing Taco.

Thank you. They have been in their brooder inside the coop for a few weeks now so they sleep with the bantams, just in their own space. And I would literally be standing with them the entire interaction.

Thank you. And yes, I worry she will see them as competition because she is lower. But they have been sleeping together and she lays in the nest box right next to the chick's run. They have definitely seen and interacted on some levels at this point. I've only ever introduced chicks/birds to a flock in pairs or trios so they were bonded and had each other to figure things out with.

I am horrible at projecting my human feelings onto my animals. Tico needs a friend, she just looks so lonely and sad since loosing Taco.
I don’t think you’re projecting, I believe animals experience things some people say they don’t. Loneliness, sadness, etc. I think it’s awesome you’re concerned about Ticos welfare :love

If they’ve been together like that then go for it, this really is the perfect age. Just be sure they can get into their current space without the bigs getting in too so they can get away if needed.

Good luck, I hope she finds a new friend!

I don’t think you’re projecting, I believe animals experience things some people say they don’t. Loneliness, sadness, etc. I think it’s awesome you’re concerned about Ticos welfare :love

If they’ve been together like that then go for it, this really is the perfect age. Just be sure they can get into their current space without the bigs getting in too so they can get away if needed.

Good luck, I hope she finds a new friend!
Yeah, I hope so.

I think I am going to lock the big girls out of the run and allow the littles free access to the whole run and coop. It will be a good test to see the interactions and if they know to go back to their coop for roosting. It's not like the girls won't be following me with my rake and shovel all afternoon or anything 🙄 they will have zero interest in their run except to size up the newbies🤣

Yeah, I hope so.

I think I am going to lock the big girls out of the run and allow the littles free access to the whole run and coop. It will be a good test to see the interactions and if they know to go back to their coop for roosting. It's not like the girls won't be following me with my rake and shovel all afternoon or anything 🙄 they will have zero interest in their run except to size up the newbies🤣
Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom