Bonding and naming baby chicks

Hmmm.... nature-based names for chicks.... Let's see if I can do this without using Google, and find names that will fit whether pullet or cockerel:
pumpkin
tater
beetle
sunshine
roadrunner
birdbrain
pepper
sprout
bubbles
cinnamon
stormy
paprika
bambi

I name mine a little differently: scramble, omelet, enchilada, barbeque, noodles, roaster, breakfast, lunch, dinner..... LOL not really. Mostly I don't name them, as I don't want them for pets. Mine make me breakfast, or dinner, depending on gender. 😉
Ha! I did name one of mine Noodles!

I used a clear LARGE plastic bin as our brooder and they loved to watch us walk around the house. They can't see clearly, but they can see us moving around them = less alarm when I approached and put my hand in. As others noted...hand flat on the brooder and let them walk on you. They'll get used to you!!

Putting them in a box or dark brooder and suddenly appearing over them triggers they're predator-prey response and they can't help but get scared.

Photo's please? I have a 4-week Fav. It is crazy how much they change.
of course:) IMG_1118.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 1
I have some very skittish baby's here and need some tips on gaining trust etc. also need name suggestions!! I'm also wondering when I can move my chicks outside for short sessions, and when can I introduce veggies?
They can go out when the are born as long as it is warm. Mine are skittish as well but I have been working on training and they eat out of my hand now. You want to spend as much time as you can with them and feed them healthy treats. I talk to them sofltly and sing to them and move very slowly. Dont worry they will get used to you just let them know where all these healthy treats come from.

Back
Top Bottom