bonding question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaGeniaLoca, Nov 10, 2011.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    My first duck was an "only child" and bonded with my family, which was a lot of fun. He passed recently and we are wanting to get another, but we have to get at least 2 to have them shipped, and at least 8 to get regular pricing (from Metzer Farms). So here's my question: if there are that many ducklings, will they still bond to us and think they're people, or will they bond with each other and know they are ducks?

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    If there is just one duck he will bond to you . If even two they wont bond like your last one.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yes, they will bond with you, but they wont be as lonley... Get two, they will still love you!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  4. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    yes! get 2, they'll both still follow you around and love you like your first duck did but they'll be so much happier to have each other when you're not around!! [​IMG]

ETA: if you get 8 you can probably post them on Craigslist for sale... pictures of baby fuzzy butts should sell those guys fast [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Right now I've got 7 ducklings that I hatched. They think I'm their mom and call out to me and follow me wherever I walk. So, having a group of them will not stop them bonding with you.

How you behave towards them is important too - its not all about imprinting. Move slowly around them, do not chase them or let them be chased by kids, spend lots of time sitting quietly with them. Get them used to your hands bringing treats - chopped grass and greens in water, mealworms, squashed peas. Don't pick them up constantly but do touch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by