Bonding with my horse AND getting her to focus???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willow's Meadow :

I don't understand how hanging out with my horse is DANGEROUS.

Please try to read what we're actually saying, rather than getting defensive and skipping over the exact words. The exact words matter
wink.png

Nobody is saying it is bad or dangerous to hang out with your horse. That is a GOOD thing to do... although in your case since you are interested in working on "bonding and attention" I would suggest DOING things with her, actually engaging her in an ongoing conversation, rather than just standing there and oogling and schnoogling a lot. Simply because it's more constructive.

What people are saying is dangerous is SITTING IN A CHAIR WITH A HORSE RIGHT THERE. *That* is whatcha described doing that has set off peoples' alarm bells... that plus then refusing to believe it could possibly go wrong.

Don't sit in chairs around horses, at least not around horses of the most impeccable proven track record of behavior. If you absolutely must sit, sit on a high kitchen stool (not barstool) or on the fence or 55-gal drum or something like that, so that you are still virtually standing and can very rapidly decamp if necessary. If you are sitting down in a regular chair, by the time you see the horse or any part thereof coming towards you there is NO chance you will be able to get up and out ofthe way in time. This is not theory, this is I have seen it multiple times.

That's *all*.

I know people who have been is the horse business for over 40 years that will say they are like puppy dogs....not all horses but some. And trust me she WILL NOT spook at a plastic bag, or a jacket or something flapping around.

The number of years you've been in the horse business is not necessarily a reflection of how much you have learned over those years
wink.png
-- and anyone who thinks that there is a horse alive that cannot be spooked in SOME circumstance by SOMEthing, well,
wink.png

I mean, look -- POLICE horses sometimes spook.

Actually though, you know what, I was not personally talking about the horse spooking when you're in the chair. The most common scenario I've seen for people coming to grief that way is one of the two following:

-- horse is moseying along, standing there or looking around or getting his nosie rubbed by you or whatever, and decides he'd like to be six inches closer to you. Oops, thinks the horse, was the chair really that close to my leg? Huh. And was *that* the balance point of the chair? The chair mom was sitting in? How interesting. Hey, how come mom is on the ground swearing? (And you do say she has knocked over OTHER chairs, which btw it is also not real safe for her to be loose among chairs since that is another way horses get hurt, e.g. knocking one over then getting a foot through it)

-- horse is standing there or moseying along, and some portion of horse (or things attached to horse, such as a halter or lead, if horse is not nekkid) catches unexpectedly on a chair or other furniture. Horse pulls self free, then wonders what all the fuss is about and why mom's chair is now sideways on top of mom.

This sounds fairly harmless but I've seen ambulances involved and most certainly it is NOT a positive educational experience for the horse.

I can garrentee that most of you have never jumped 4'0, worked at a barn every week, taken champion at many high level rated shows, done dressage, barrel raced, trail ridden, schooled and trained green horses, worked with babies or ridden off the track thourobreds.......all of which I have done!!!!!!!

Actually I think that many or most of us responding on this thread HAVE done that. And that's all I'm gonna say on *that* issue.

What you describe has nothing to do with the acquisition of common sense and a healthy desire not to get the horse or person scared.

We are telling you what tends to happen when horses are left wandering loose amongst chairs, and when a person sits in a chair next to said horse.

You can do as you wish with the information. But I for one feel that it's sort of my responsibility to at least point it out.

Again, your time would better be spent DOING things with the horse than just hanging out in hopes of "bonding"... not that the latter has no place, and it is of course just *fun* to stand watching your horse in turnout or patting her nosie, but it does not really do a lot for ya in terms of getting the two of you on the same wavelength or "getting her to focus" which you said is a goal here.

Pat​

This discussion is starting to devolve...LOL. I don't know what kind of championship one could win at a 'high rated show' that would not involve getting the horse to focus, getting the horse's attention and building muscles.

I think you've probably clawed back enough, willow, you've gotten a great deal of very good advice, I do sincerely hope you get some assistance and guidance, good luck.

Last edited:
Willow's Meadow :

So I think the two things are connected....bonding with my new horse and getting her attention/focus on me. She is 5 yrs. old and very, very green. She was recently just broke and I just got her last month. When I am grooming her, leading her, when she's in the cross ties and exspeccially when I'm riding her she is just not paying attention she is just like "ohhhh look at that or ohhh a butterfly!!! Or hiiii little kid." or she'll just zone out and not even focus or pay attention. How can I get her to focus and pay attention? Like sometimes I bring her in the arena and let her loose and I play with her and I'll be sitting there and I'll be talking to her and she'll just start knocking over the other chairs or trying to drink coffee out of someone's leftover coffee. Is it just something she'll eventually grow out of or is there something I can do to get her attention?

She's not going to knock ME over!!!!!! lol She's like a big puppy dog!!!!! She's a good horse.....jeez relax. LOL

I don't understand how hanging out with my horse is DANGEROUS. I know people who have been is the horse business for over 40 years that will say they are like puppy dogs....not all horses but some. And trust me she WILL NOT spook at a plastic bag, or a jacket or something flapping around. I've been on horses that will spook if a barn door is shut and it is loud or will see a plastic bag and take of running....and yes I've fallen off a lot too! I was on a pony that I was galloping and he tripped in a field and I fell off and landed on my stomach and he fell right on top of me and wouldn't get off. He kicked me in my arms and legs and I got a concusion and couldn't walk straight!!!!! I've had my wrists and ankles twisted and sprained and been kicked more times then I can remember. I've also been severely bit. I've been riding since I was 10 so it is like second nature.

Now my horse is not one of the horses that will freak out if a jacket falls of a jump or a door is shut. She has come up to me when I am sitting their and she has knocked over another chair and she will put her head down and rest it right on/by my chest.....she has never tried to knock me over or hurt me in anyway. So you all can stop treating me like I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing!!!! Cause I can garrentee that most of you have never jumped 4'0, worked at a barn every week, taken champion at many high level rated shows, done dressage, barrel raced, trail ridden, schooled and trained green horses, worked with babies or ridden off the track thourobreds.......all of which I have done!!!!!!!

OKAY WHO EVER SAID I DONT KNOW WHO TO ASK MY HORSE TOI NEVER said I do not know how to get a horse to walk, trot, canter or halt. Welsummer YOU are putting statements that I have NOT made in my mouth and you need to stop.
And welsummer where ar pictures of your horses, or you riding, or horses you've worked with etc.????? It seems like most people on BYC including myself have pictures of their horses. Who knows if you even have your own horse let alone ride? You could be one of those people that just googles stuff and answers peoples questions with the stuff they found on google or in books WALK, TROT, CANTER, TURN?????????? I NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!! I've shown in flat classes and hunter.....how would I do that if I didn't know how to ask for gaits?????????????? omg

This whole thread has just put a rock in my boot....Willow, here is what you have posted for all of us. First you say: "I don't know how to get my horses attention" then you state that "I have jumped 4.0, worked at a barn every week, taken champion at many high level shows, done dressage, barrel raced, trail ridden,
SCHOOLED AND TRAINED GREEN HORSES , worked with babies or ridden off the track thorobreds".

Now MY question is: "IF you have done all this, WHY are you asking such an elementary question as to how to get my horses attention??"​

An addendum to my last post, I did it incorrectly so my words and Willows words are all in gray. All I did was post all of what Willow had to say so that it would make more of an impact and then added my own comment at the end.

Quote:

Did the thought cross anyone's mind that maybe the OP has never had problems with getting other horses to focus and pay attention to her? That she is only having problem with this particular mare? Many a championship has been won by simply staying on board a seasoned old school horse who knew the routine. There are various levels of focusing from a reining horse who all but tunes out his rider while concentrating on a calf, to a western pleasure horse who knows the routine so well that they are on auto-pilot. I may get some flack for saying that but I have seen too many western pleasure horses with completely blank looks on their faces. Sure they may be listening but they are not focused.

Redcatcher... Read the posts... It is a horse with 30 days training that she lets walk all over and do what it wants.... it is okay to let it knock things over.. This is a kid that leased a horse and has her first horse, probably from a rescue organization.... She has been riding for 5 years under a trainer in lessons on a lease horse... she is just writing for entertainment....

Quote:
UM EXCUSE ME?????? she is NOT a rescue!!!!!!!!! She is a registered purebred American Paint Horse Mare. And she has been training MUCH longer then 30 days. I've actually never leased a horse.....who said that? omg

I read your past posts... Trying to figure out what exactly you were asking... It is all on here... I didn't make it up... want me to post it... maybe the word is borrow...not lease.. whatever.

Quote:
WHAT do you know about my horse?????????? YOU ARE NOT in a posistion to talk like that. You are making her out to be some wild, loco rodeo horse when really she is a sweet kind mare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom