Bone infection

It’s always so hard to say goodbye to these lovely, beautiful creatures in our lives. I’m sorry you had to go through that and I totally understand. I do want to ask you how did you know that they were approaching the end. I’m watching Sally like a hawk (excuse the pun) because the second I see her get lethargic or listless, I’m going to have to get her put down quickly. Because then she would be showing signs of going into sepsis, which is not how I want her to die. I don’t want her to die at all, but there’s only so much I can do. Is that what you were faced with? Or was it better planned?
The way I have chosen to have their "goodbye procedure" for my ducks has been same day and not planned in advanced. I want to give them as much of their life as I can. We are very fortunate to have a 24/7 emergency vet, so I have no pressure to decide in advance. I waited until their disease got to the point where I felt like it was significantly interfering with their quality of life. With all 3 of my ducks it has been slightly different. For one she was standing in corners, staring at walls, not following the other ducks. She seemed disoriented and her personality was much different. With another her respiratory infection had progressed to the point that her breathing was difficult, and she was clearly uncomfortable. I felt unkind to keep her alive until she passed naturally. Another had stopped eating and was lying down most of the time because her condition was very painful.

I feel like some pain for my pets is ok. I have pain everyday and I'm ok with it. But for my pets when they can't eat, or move, and there is no chance of recovery I feel like it is time to let them go.

Hi. I'm so sorry! I've been where you are. My duck was at an avian vet on October 22nd 2020 and the vet only suggested euthanasia. I asked about amputation but she said no because that would cause her to limp and end up with bumblefoot on the other foot. I just couldn't agree to euthanasia so the vet gave me meds for inflammation and said that I'd be back to have her put down within a few days because sepsis would set in.
Do you have any idea how long your duck has had bumblefoot? What antibiotic therapy have you tried?

Honey Boo Boo (duck I was talking about) is pictured here in between the Buff Duck and Cayuga Drake. This wasn't taken too long ago.
20210308_190307.jpg

This picture isn't so great. I was taking it because my Buff Duck looked to be a bit bloated in her abdomen and I'm watching it carefully. This picture was taken today. Honey Boo Boo is the white one on the end. Notice her foot is bandaged. I keep her foot bandaged at all times because she does have a slight limp and is prone to abrasion. I don't want her to have to battle bumblefoot again.
20210510_105051.jpg

Last edited:
I should add that it was a hard road in helping Honey and I call her my "forever patient" because she requires extra care every single day. There are a lot of people that don't have that much time and I completely understand. If I didn't run my business from home, I don't know if I would have been able to give her the time necessary. There are some drawbacks to having a duck like this. I have a large pond and acres for them to free range but Honey isn't fast enough to get away from anything and she can't fly. Some of this is because she's a Pekin but her handicap is the majority of it. Because of this, Honey and her flock have taken over my fenced in yard. I tried letting her flock free range with everyone but her and a buddy, but they stayed at the fence line for the entire day and only put themselves at more risk trying to remain a flock.
There are pros and cons to both sides of this and what worked for one may not work for the next. If you feel it's more kind to have the duck euthanized, that's what should be done. Only you know what is necessary. I wish you the very best and I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs.

The way I have chosen to have their "goodbye procedure" for my ducks has been same day and not planned in advanced. I want to give them as much of their life as I can. We are very fortunate to have a 24/7 emergency vet, so I have no pressure to decide in advance. I waited until their disease got to the point where I felt like it was significantly interfering with their quality of life. With all 3 of my ducks it has been slightly different. For one she was standing in corners, staring at walls, not following the other ducks. She seemed disoriented and her personality was much different. With another her respiratory infection had progressed to the point that her breathing was difficult, and she was clearly uncomfortable. I felt unkind to keep her alive until she passed naturally. Another had stopped eating and was lying down most of the time because her condition was very painful.

I feel like some pain for my pets is ok. I have pain everyday and I'm ok with it. But for my pets when they can't eat, or move, and there is no chance of recovery I feel like it is time to let them go.
Yes, I agree that suffering is not an option for our beloved pets. We have to always do the right thing. Thank you for sharing your stories with me. I really appreciate it. Sally remains happy and eating, drinking, just being her duck self!

I should add that it was a hard road in helping Honey and I call her my "forever patient" because she requires extra care every single day. There are a lot of people that don't have that much time and I completely understand. If I didn't run my business from home, I don't know if I would have been able to give her the time necessary. There are some drawbacks to having a duck like this. I have a large pond and acres for them to free range but Honey isn't fast enough to get away from anything and she can't fly. Some of this is because she's a Pekin but her handicap is the majority of it. Because of this, Honey and her flock have taken over my fenced in yard. I tried letting her flock free range with everyone but her and a buddy, but they stayed at the fence line for the entire day and only put themselves at more risk trying to remain a flock.
There are pros and cons to both sides of this and what worked for one may not work for the next. If you feel it's more kind to have the duck euthanized, that's what should be done. Only you know what is necessary. I wish you the very best and I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs.
I greatly appreciate your kind words. Euthanizing her today would not have been ok, and so I cancelled the appointment. I see another vet on Thursday and I will continue to see that she is comfortable and happy, eating, drinking, and swimming (I have to place her in the pool, and then take her out). From weighing in all the pros and cons, I feel good about seeking a second opinion on her bone infection and I will know more Thursday from a different vet who has more experience with ducks/chickens. Day by day is how we're taking life right now. Always!

SALLY IS FINE! The second vet we went to said that he would not euthanize a healthy duck. The infection is being treated with Baytril for ten days and in the meantime, Sally had adapted to her bum leg. She remains happy and healthy. Thank goodness I saw the second vet. Thank you for recommending it here on this site!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! We are all thrilled, esp. Sally's husband, Harry.

SALLY IS FINE! The second vet we went to said that he would not euthanize a healthy duck. The infection is being treated with Baytril for ten days and in the meantime, Sally had adapted to her bum leg. She remains happy and healthy. Thank goodness I saw the second vet. Thank you for recommending it here on this site!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! We are all thrilled, esp. Sally's husband, Harry.
Oh my goodness!!!!
That is so exciting! Wow! I'm so happy for you! Yay!
:celebrate

These beautiful creatures are worth every second of our time!!! I'm blessed to have the time for mine!!!

So happy to hear this wonderful update! Honey Boo Boo also needed Baytril. I had to adjust the dosage because the amount she had been taking off and on for months just wasn't cutting it. I believe the vet thought that Baytril wasn't going to get on top of her infection, but in reality, she just needed almost the max dosage to get on top of infection and work properly. Changing her dosage made all the difference. It was scary whenever time came to stop the antibiotics, but she's done well. It's wonderful that you're seeing a vet that values her life as much as you do. She's in wonderful hands!

Back
Top Bottom