bone protruding through foot

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
Ok so my chick hatched with not only swaddler leg, but with it's bone protruding through it's foot. What's wrong? Why is it like that?
We are hobbling the chick, please excuse with what as we didn't have much of a choice. Luckily we're going shopping tomarrow. We covered the chicks foot with ointment and a VERY soft plushy wrap..

534612_3840245969570_2004289362_n.jpg

Not all chicks hatch healthy, there are numerous defects that can occur. There isn't really anything you can do but keep everything clean. However, keep in mind that chances are this bird will not heal. In fact, it is likely he will suffer in pain till his death, so you may want to consider culling him now.

Not all chicks hatch healthy, there are numerous defects that can occur. There isn't really anything you can do but keep everything clean. However, keep in mind that chances are this bird will not heal. In fact, it is likely he will suffer in pain till his death, so you may want to consider culling him now.
Aww noo :(.. Is there something I can try and do first to see if it starts healing? The chick isn't eatting nor drinking, but i try pushing water through it. it hasn't had a bathroom movement since it hatched. Wich was a lil more then half a day ago. Almost a whole day

Sorry, I would have to agree with the Rhoderunner. Your chick does not look so good and if it is not drinking or eating prognosis is poor. When hatching chicks I always feel it is my responsibility to cull the chicks that were born deformed. It is sad I know but you need to think long term for the quality of life for the chicken. Unless you are prepared to have a "disabled" chicken possibly living alone as it usually will not fit into the flock without being picked on or worse....

Quote:
They don't really get hungry or thirsty until about the second day after hatching from my experience. I personally couldn't cull a baby chick so I understand your sentiment.

If you decide to wait and just see if he heals, here is a helpful website:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I am so sorry I have not dealt with this before and so cannot advise you. It is very serious to have a bone exposed in terms of infection.

If it were me, I'd have to take him to a vet to have him put down painlessly.

Last edited:
Well the chick is drinking from a surenge, but still can't get it to eat. We are giving it un flavored pedialite though.. Any ideas on what we can give it to start eating? Something ok for the 1 day old chick to eat that's irresistable?

Aww noo :(.. Is there something I can try and do first to see if it starts healing? The chick isn't eatting nor drinking, but i try pushing water through it. it hasn't had a bathroom movement since it hatched. Wich was a lil more then half a day ago. Almost a whole day
Read the poultry pedia site: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry and pay close attention to splay-leg, hock cushion and chick doughnut. I have found that they will drink on their own when I hold a gatorade lid to their beak. Your chick looks like it's rubbed it's hocks raw, so it needs to be in a cushion, upright postition with access to food and water. Good luck! You could also try force feeding it small crickets.

Well the chick is drinking from a surenge, but still can't get it to eat. We are giving it un flavored pedialite though.. Any ideas on what we can give it to start eating? Something ok for the 1 day old chick to eat that's irresistable?
Scrambled egg or crickets. You might have to force feed to get it used to the idea... The pedialyte is perfect!

Thanks so much I read it so we'll try and figure something out. Uhm the chick is now wobbily able to balance itself to lay with its feet straight under it. Was never able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom