Bonkers goes to jail

Ducktor Beers

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
Alright duck fam. The saga continues:

I had an opportunity to adopt some runners from a neighbor who recently moved, and I meant to get two hens but there was only one female, but after the m u r d e r of my other hen by my drake Bonkers, never again would I leave an odd duck out. So I also took her mate, a beautiful black runner Diablo. They were both living with maybe 9 other drakes, so I wasn't worried about Diablo fighting Bonkers but hoped that he would protect his mate Coco.

Turns out: Bonkers is a dick. Won't leave Diablo alone, even though Diablo is easily 3x his size. Aggressive to Coco, too. So now he's in drake jail. My Mallard hen could care less, but is always excited when they're reintroduced. To be fair it's o my been 2 days. But if anyone had any advice for proper jailing I'm all ears.

So.

Any times for a successful jail sentence?

I will rehome him if I have to, and get two new hens in his place to protect sweet Honkers my hen. But I raised him and Honkers from babies, broke his wing, and gave him a second chance after he murdered my solo runner. Drake jail is my last ditch effort, help!

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_083110.jpg
    IMG_20201019_083110.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20201019_083704.jpg
    IMG_20201019_083704.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 17
after the m u r d e r of my other hen by my drake Bonkers, never again would I leave an odd duck out. So I also took her mate, a beautiful black runner Diablo. They were both living with maybe 9 other drakes, so I wasn't worried about Diablo fighting Bonkers but hoped that he would protect his mate Coco.

Turns out: Bonkers is a dick.
Hi there, I'm glad you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm VERY sorry for the loss of your hen. :hugs

Animals do NOT murder.. that's a human thing.. animals compete for resources, set pecking orders, and sometimes fight to the death.. they do NOT murder. They also forcibly copulate but that doesn't make it rape.. Animals do not go by human morals or assign a value to them. :hmm

The fact your birds are fighting isn't because one is a dick it's because they were taken out of their pecking order and stuck in a new one that now need to be established again.. and likely with NOWHERE for the fleeing animal to get away so the aggressor can understand the body language being displayed more appropriately!!! That's the fault of the keeper NOT the animal.. who is doing what comes natural to them..

Sorry.. I know animal drama stink.. and it's a learning process for us.. NO animal should be blamed for the keepers.. ignorance.. or lack of understanding/knowledge or ability to make two animals in peace that are territorial and hormonal.. Please cut that boy some slack.. I know you ARE here looking for solutions.. so I MEAN to cut you some slack to.. despite expressing myself, possibly passionately! Hang in there, re-home if needed. :fl

Hi there, I'm glad you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm VERY sorry for the loss of your hen. :hugs

Animals do NOT murder.. that's a human thing.. animals compete for resources, set pecking orders, and sometimes fight to the death.. they do NOT murder. They also forcibly copulate but that doesn't make it rape.. Animals do not go by human morals or assign a value to them. :hmm

The fact your birds are fighting isn't because one is a dick it's because they were taken out of their pecking order and stuck in a new one that now need to be established again.. and likely with NOWHERE for the fleeing animal to get away so the aggressor can understand the body language being displayed more appropriately!!! That's the fault of the keeper NOT the animal.. who is doing what comes natural to them..

Sorry.. I know animal drama stink.. and it's a learning process for us.. NO animal should be blamed for the keepers.. ignorance.. or lack of understanding/knowledge or ability to make two animals in peace that are territorial and hormonal.. Please cut that boy some slack.. I know you ARE here looking for solutions.. so I MEAN to cut you some slack to.. despite expressing myself, possibly passionately! Hang in there, re-home if needed. :fl
Oh I know, he's just a duck being a duck. I'm very sad about the loss of my favorite duck butt I've managed to make it a little easier if I say I've gained a murder duck lol. I still love him and want the best for him, it just might not be with me.

I doubt that any amount of 'jail' time will change his behavior. :oops: He's just a testosterone driven drake.
Sourland with the sage advice one again. That's what I was afriad of; I have another home for him if needed, I'm just sentimentally attached to this dumb little duck!

Hahaha no not on purpose! He got his name for a reason, but under my watch! I put it in a sling and he's fine, he just can't fly.
Jail won't really help in the short term, in my experience.

For chickens.. I keep a stag pen until they mature before getting access to the ladies. Even if they don't mean to be aggressive.. they are still clumsy. Allowing for maturity does help SOMETIMES to allow hormones to calm down..

It's true, after caring for them with special needs.. they often get special places in our hearts. Sounds like you will do what is best overall for your flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom