Boody Hens. Help!

Doc McCluckins

Songster
Feb 3, 2016
Middle Tennessee
I'm ready to fry some chickens. I had eggs for hatching in the spring and early summer. Not one hen would set.. I ordered babies since my incubator attempts were in vain. Now we are selling eggs and now I have 5 hens that want nothing more than to set. Is there anything I can do to deter them. I would let them raise but they are stupid and when they get up to drink they often come back to the wrong box so several times now I have brought in eggs to cook with chicks inside
sickbyc.gif
. So now I am pulling all eggs but the ones I get in the evening have been set on up until I get there, which makes me nervous.

Gather eggs at least twice a day. Do a search here on how to break a broody hen. I have a separate sheltered pen I lock mine in during the day. After dark I let her roost in the coop.I lock her up, away from the coop daily until she decides to not return to the nest. Last time it only took two days.

I leave for work before they start laying during the week and don't get home until almost dark most nights. I'll try separating her though to break her habits. Thanks!

Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken...add a feeder too since you'll be gone all day.
Gotta be hard to manage birds when working full time.

Back
Top Bottom