I do most of my reading on my Kindle nowadays.

I just read The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. Sigh. I read it because "it's a classic," and, well, TBH, I was glad to finish it and move on to something else. I was reading a review of it, which said the first section "is notoriously difficult to read." If that doesn't turn you off, not sure what could! Yeah, it sure was a slog, not sure what was happening, who was doing what. It got better after that. Because it almost couldn't get worse. Damned by faint praise.

If I want to read something that is writing for writings' sake, I'll reread Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn. Now, that book I can HIGHLY recommend! It's a "word nerd" kind of book, for sure, but very inventive.

On the topic of books that require attention to read: Death With Interruptions by Jose Saramago is VERY good!

By "requires attention," I mean the style is unconventional. Dialog is not set out with quotation marks, or "said" attribution. I read it "aloud in my head," and that helped me to follow what was said.

On the topic of books that require attention to read: Death With Interruptions by Jose Saramago is VERY good!

By "requires attention," I mean the style is unconventional. Dialog is not set out with quotation marks, or "said" attribution. I read it "aloud in my head," and that helped me to follow what was said.
Sounds interesting Sally, I’m going to give it a read.

I sure will! I just got it on audible today, now waiting for my new headphones to get here
Ah! This book would be a challenge for a reader. I hope you get a good one! :thumbsup

DH and I used to get books on tape from the library for long road trips. Really made the time go by.

We listened to Riverworld, and it was GREAT! Until it wasn't. It was a fantastic premise, but the longer it went on, the more you wondered, "Well, how did this happen? Are we going to find out? How will it end?" (It's a series, not just one book.)

Like a really long joke, the payoff has to be good. It wasn't. By the second book, we looked at each other and said, No way he can end this well. It's gonna fall flat. And it did, in our opinion.

I just looked it up on audible & it's included in the Plus Catalog. I added it to my library. When I am done with my current book, I'll take a listen.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I recently listened to a Time Travel series, by Nick Jones & narrated by Ray Porter. I enjoyed it very much. Love Ray Porter as well. Sometimes, (for me anyway) it's all about the narration.

https://www.audible.com/pd/And-Then...eativeId=4ee810cf-ac8e-4eeb-8b79-40e176d0a225

I’m so glad this topic popped up. I love to read and am always looking for recommendations. I mostly read using my library app on my phone now. I have to wait for popular books, but I do end up discovering things I never would have read otherwise. I’m nearly done with Hide by Kiersten White. It is not at all what I thought it was going to be, but I’m enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom