Booker81's Meatie Thread - Four processed so far! (pics)

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
Time to do it all again!

Ordered 40 CX from Schletch, got 42 at least (should have counted as I was taking them out of their box, but I didn't). Everyone is happy and healthy so far. I've been pleased with the customer service with Schletch - Etta was very nice to talk with on the phone when I ordered.

They shipped yesterday and I called the post office at 7am, and the clerk told me she was just getting ready to call me. Swung that way and picked them all up and put them in their brooding pen I set up yesterday with feed and water (with electrolytes). Had to jet right off to work, but all of them were lively.

Got home, and they're all pretty happy, looks like I was right on with the heatlamp set up (I worried a bit about them when I was at work). They've been eating and drinking good already.

They're so cute when they're wee ones. I know what they'll turn into though. I've already "sold" 24 of them, and the future owners are pretty excited to have non-store chicken.

Woohoo!!

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck. I did two batches this year.
thumbsup.gif

Nice! How fast did you get your chicks? We are trying to get another batch to process in November, however none of the suppliers know their hatch dates, and ideally I'd like chicks to arrive next week at the latest.

I talked to them the end of August, and they were shipping every Wednesday in September, starting Sept 7th. I ordered on August 29th, they shipped the 7th, and I got them the 8th. I was pretty happy with that
smile.png

Here's a pic of the nuggets
smile.png

I'm still so prepared for some losses, it's been a few months since I've had chicks and this is the first time I've had shipped chicks. They're just great though. Had some friends over and we visited the chicks - they're exploring more and aren't huddled in the lamp, but nicely spread out and not peeping much. I'm hoping to get them into the garden as soon as possible. Just from the get go they seem more active and strong than my TSC chicks I picked up this spring - probably because they didn't have the stress of people prodding and poking them in the troughs.

It does make me laugh though - I have an older friend who's a bit on the rugged, old fashioned side. He first found it hard to believe that I could buy chicks this time of year, then didn't believe the post office would let me pick them up before they opened, and now he's warning me that they're very touchy things and I can't move them, and if the weather changes they'll die. I know he means well, and I know that's where some of my worry of loss comes in, but I think back - this spring batch weathered quite well, and folks raise them "outside" with shelter all the time. They're not glass or china - given feed, water, clean air and clean ground, I think they should be quite happy. This isn't my first round with meaties (did them all through high school and as a kid), I'm not sure why I'm doubting my actions
smile.png

I'm still extremely happy with them. Very happy.

Bad pic. I'll take some glamor shots tomorrow. Maybe I'll weigh a few too, and use this thread as a log for them.

54632_chicks.jpg

Thanks for the pics, and yes, keep this thread as a journal, i will surely follow.

It would be neat if you could take a week by week picture to see the growth each week.

I also looked at the hatchery's website, and I am guess when I order my meaties I will use them.

Updated my title - I'll do my best to follow up regularly with this.
smile.png

For starters, I'm choosing to use Dumor feed, as it's what my TSC carries, and I've liked the results before.

I'm feeding Dumor non medicated Chick Starter/Grower 20% feed, which I'll stick with through the whole thing. I'm not that great at time management sometimes, so they will have free choice through the whole time (I've done this before, no issues). Some folks are good with 12 on/12 off, I'm not. My feed cost runs $15.29/50lbs. While others are geared to organic/non-soy etc, I personally am content with run of the mill feed. I like my Dumor - the crumbles are not powdery and the chicks seem to dig right in. I think it gets pretty quick rotation at my TSC store.

They did get Sav-a-chick vitamins and electrolytes in their water, and I'll run that until I'm through with the packets (one gallon waterer, so three gallons worth). They've taken in about half a gallon of water so far, so good drinking on their part
smile.png
After that, they will get plain ol' well water. Once they're close to emptying the water in a day, I'll switch to the 3 gallon waterer, and add waterers as needed. Fresh water is important I feel - I want them to get enough to go through in a day, but not have it get stagnant over a couple days. Just one of my quirks.

For now, they are in the 3x8' "pen" I raised a dozen meaties in this spring. Obviously this won't be big enough, but the plan is to move them into the garden in a couple weeks to grow up. The garden is fenced and will be netted over the top (I have netting on the main run for the layers, no issues thus far). They will get a 4x8 hutch to start with, and I'll make another one if they need.

Twenty four of them are already slated for "sale" and have been paid for. I'll be processing them myself.

Congrats Booker! Even though I don't have any this year I still like to lurk at people's progress:)

How much do you sell them for when processed?

I just finished up my Cornish Xs from Schlects. Didn't lose any at all. You shouldn't have any problem. You're right, they're not made of china. Actually, they're pretty tough little codgers.

Back
Top Bottom