Booker81's Meatie Thread - Four processed so far! (pics)

... tho I understand South Marion Meats is trying to get licensed. Hope so.

That would be great.

If I'm in town when you do yours, I would be willing to come help you so I can learn.​

Well, I'll get pics the next day or so, but I did email Schlecht to tell them how pleased I was so far with this batch. I got a lovely email back from Etta thanking me for letting them know, and that it was a great thing to read first thing on a Monday morning.

I have to say, Schlecht has my business for as long as they're doing business and as long as I do meat chickens!

Here we are at 42 days, or 6 weeks. Getting close to game time for at least some of them! I plan to begin processing next week on the largest ones, and do a few per day, probably over two weeks, to give the hens and smaller ones time to catch up (though it's a bit difficult to tell between hens and roos in this batch by size - they are all getting big!

54632_42days.jpg

Still running the same old same old, lots of water, and still on 20% feeder/grower from the mill, free choice 24/7. Still hopping around and the boys are acting like hot stuff - one of them attempted to attack my feet as I was filling their feeder. I'm guessing they're about 6lbs or more live weight right now.

I'm very pleased with this batch. No one is showing any sign of CHF, and all are active and growing exceptionally well.

smile.png

And yeah....getting dark here early, so poor photo
smile.png
Not much you can do when the sun is going down at 6:45pm
smile.png

No lights on them, it's also been in the 50s at day, low 40s and 30s at night. I've checked on them early in the morning when it's the coldest, no one is complaining (other than that I woke them up).

Check out those legs! This is a great thread Booker, thanks for taking the time to do it. I've not done meaties before but am interested in doing them in the future. This thread is a great resource for those of us wondering what to expect.

Thanks again! Will you post pics of the harvested birds as you go?

Well, I slacked on getting a picture on Tuesday/Wednesday for 7 weeks, so I"ll try tomorrow, no promises. Either way, they are getting BIG. I processed 4 tonight, and will hopefully do a bunch on Sunday, as many as I get through.

I'm extremely pleased with this order. At 7 weeks and one day, I've got dressed birds that are 4.8-5.7lbs, and that's just grabbing who I could reach first (not like they are that fast). The smaller two were hens, the front two were roos.

54632_four.jpg

smile.png

WOW! Those do look awesome! Ours are all of one week old...and seeing this makes me want time to fly by so I can get my own all packaged up and freezer ready like yours are!

WOW again!
thumbsup.gif
Bet they taste as great as they look!

Back
Top Bottom