books on chicken genetics??

Chickies

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Northeast Florida
does anyone know of any books on chicken genetics? i'd like to get into breeding at some point, but that point is kinda far off at the moment
hmm.png
anyway, i want to learn all about chx genetics but i need all the info in one place (a book) in order for my brain to process it successfully.

any suggestions?

Genetics of the Fowl, by Hutt. It's 30 or 40 years old, but still very true, just different terms today. It's about $30. It goes into everything from comb genetics, to color genetics, to egg laying genetics. There's another THICK book, thick like you could use it as a murder weapon thick, that's really great. But it costs an arm, leg, and kidney, so...

Grant Brereton has published a book 21st Century Poultry Breeding. Golden Cockerel Press I think, probably available at Amazon. Knowing Grant I imagine his book would be well written.

Not trying to be rude but Hutt's book has a fair bit that is out of date & would be pretty confusing & inaccurate for people wanting to learn colour genetics.

For a technical approach Poultry Breeding & Genetics, edited by Crawford, published by Elsevier Science has most things & generally up to date or there's Genetics & Evolution of the Domestic Fowl , by Lewis Stevens, published by Cambridge University Press

I found Hutt's book very useful, but I did have to do a lot of outside research to clarify the recent information. So yes, it is confusing if you're totally green to genetics. It was the most affordable one I could find though.

Isn't the Crawford book rediculously expensive? I remember I found a book online for $400 by Crawford. Mabye not the same one though.

Yes, Poultry Breeding & Genetics is expensive I bought mine in Europe, I think it was over 100GBP, I don't know the price here. Also PBG has a lot of info which probably isn't needed by most hobby breeders & takes for granted that one knows a certain amount about genetics to begin with.
Steven's book is cheaper than PBG but along a similar vein.
I imagine Grant Brereton's book will have been geared for people in the fancy & will probably be more user friendly than PBG anyway. I believe Grant's book is about 30USD. Probably the best bet.
Also Dr.Clive Carefoot's "Creative Poultry Breeding" is a wealth of valuable information, written in an easily understandable style but sadly this book is like gold dust.

Kaz from Australia had a really nice genetics website which explained everything very nicely, but it seems to have moved. Does anyone have an up to date link for her site?

Back
Top Bottom