Border Collie - Black lab puppy....tips on intro & protection

my grandfather has hunted coons since he was a boy. That is how I have seen the damage that a coon can do to a dog. I've known more than one dog euthanized because of injuries from a big coon.
also, you are talking about a dog vs a coon that was shot out of a tree. Not the same as a dog (especially a puppy!) taking on a full-grown coon 1 on 1
I as well as my father and grandfather hunted coons and never was a dog damaged to a degree on coon hunting duty requiring dog to be euthanized, unless hit by a car while tracking across road. Some of the coons were only winged and more than once multiple coons would be treed in same tree and when one dropped other(s) attempted to escape and dog(s) were expected to at least put them back into a tree.

At no point was pitting pup against a coon indicated and once pup even half grown coon will not even attempt taking something that can fight back. If coons are deemed a risk to a confined pup then kennel it in a coon proof location and / or keep it with an adult dog that can deal with coons. You need to get to know racoons. Get yourself a permit, raise one without confinement, learn its habits and limits then you will be able to give sound advice on how they can be managed using dogs. Racoons are far easier than most people think to deal with.

Maybe you live where racoons get really big, for me a monster is 35 lbs.

I

Maybe you live where racoons get really big, for me a monster is 35 lbs.

and a full-grown border collie maxes out around 45 lbs and that is for a large male. A female weighs 30-35 lbs on average.
One of my grandfather's favorite hounds waas a female walker that had to be put down in the field after a coon ripped her throat and she was bleeding out. The coon was cornered by the dogs before it could make it to the trees.

When I am raising a pup to be a ranch dog it accompanies me around on all my farm chores every day. On a leash. That pup never has the opportunity to chase and catch chickens or any other animals. Inappropriate over excitement or attention towards the chickens is gently and routinely discouraged. Eventually the pup gets used to the routine, the chickens and other animals become old news and it also understands that those animals belong here, they are mine and he/she is not to bother them.

This is done day after day after day .... Eventually, based on the pup's behavior as it gets older, it gets to run along off leash and becomes a full fledged farm dog. This only occurs when I know the pup has a rock solid recall and does not have such a huge prey drive that all training will be blocked out in a moment of excitement. Once in a while you get a dog that just will not ever be good around livestock no matter how long you train. I have only had this happen once in many, many years and that was a dog I adopted as an adult. Now I only raise my own puppies.

The bottom line is this: Daily exposure to your chickens and positive training and reinforcement of good behavior. Never allow pup's to be alone or unleashed with chickens, that only sets a pup up for an epic fail and sets your training back immeasureably.

You just may find your Border Collie mix a great joy to train. Provided you survive puppyhood! They are incredibly smart, fast thinkers and learners and are my dog of choice for a farm dog. I'm sure everyone here would love to see pic's of your pup when it comes home.
smile.png

Wow. I am overwhelmed. Threads like this illustrate my ignorance on proper animal husbandry and training. When I was a kid, I had dogs, but pretty much just fed, watered and played with them. They had me trained instead of visa versa. I'm sure most people would say I "ruined" them if judged against any standard other than a family play dog.

The more I read about this, the more overwhelmed I am. My coop is 100 yds away from the house and main yard. I will start with the pup up close to the house so she is not near the free range chickens at the coop (the coop is shaded, cool and has an abundance of weeds and bugs so they only "free range" about a 30' from the pen...especially the CX's that will be harvested in 3 weeks ).

One thing I have learned from this thread....herding is for sheep. Ignoring is for chickens. Check. Maybe someday the good Lord will bring sheep onto my little BYfarm, but for now. I'll learn to take care of the responsibilities presented to date.

One thing to remember is that this girl might have zero interest kn herding. :) depending on her background, she could turn out to be a couch potato! She peoe are trying to breed fat lazy labs sho dont need exercise. They sell well to fat lazy people who dont leave the couch

ETA: every dog is different and will need different things. Every training/exercise/food requirement needs to fit YOUR dog and what works for mine might not work for yours. It's a good starting point though :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom