border collie mix pup needs good home -midwest

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
We took in a border collie mix that we are told is 5months old. Confined to a trailer home with several little kids who harassed her and handled roughly. Sadie was not let outside because they had no yard, didn't want to take the time to walk her on leash, and she kept wandering off to see the neighbors cattle. She was also too hyper for the kids. Puppy toys and veterinarians are unfamiliar to her.

We had her checked by a vet. The vet found no health problems aside from some patches of thin fur on her back legs which the vet said looked like she'd just been sitting crouched in a crate or hiding all day. She's had her first shots including rabies, heartworm medicine, dewormer, and frontline. We have been teaching her to play and housebreaking her. She will pee outside now but still occasionally poops by the door.

Unfortunately we absolutely cannot keep her. We can't afford to spay her. We have 2 female dogs of dominant breeds who are upset by another female in the house. The shiba has gone into kill mode and we are still unable to put her together with the collie. Sadie has been fine around chickens so far and loves doing chores with me. She bounces along next to me out to the coop, waits in front of the door while chickens pour out and I collect eggs, bounces to the outdoor faucet to help me fill waterers, bounces back to the chicken coop and waits in front of the door, and so on through all our chores. I can't gurantee she won't get bolder as she grows but for now she shows no interest in going after other animals and I think with training she could be quite trust worthy. I would never suggest leaving any dog of any temperament unsupervised with chickens though. Sadie would love a farm especially with a job to do or someone interested in taking her to agility classes. She needs a job and more attention than she's getting here. Also we are leaving this weekend so if someone is unable to keep her but within driving distance of eastern Iowa and would like to watch her for 4 days please let me know.

We are about 20mins east of Iowa city and willing to drive Sadie to her new home. I have also requested aid from the midwest border collie rescue who may be able to drive Sadie even farther.

SANY1743.jpg

SANY1745.jpg

SANY1747.jpg

We still have Sadie. Several people have said they are interested and most have just dropped off the face of the earth after the first couple conversations. Sadie spent a week on a friend's farm and did wonderfully. She followed everyone around, played with toys, fetched balls, ran around with their aussie, saw cattle and horses, and was so happy I actually hated to bring her home but they couldn't keep her either. She is mostly housebroken now and playing with our other dogs as well as finding a few toys she likes. The shiba and her still aren't getting along great though and long term this is unlikely to work. The personality clashes between the dogs is going to lead to disaster as they get older. We really need to find a home for her. We also were planning to adopt a male shiba that has been in foster homes for the past 6months. We cannot finally give him a forever home though until someone adopts sadie because we already have enough work and insanity with 3 female dogs that don't entirely get along.

Back
Top Bottom