border lights

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaadee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Chickaadee

Chickaadee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Ky
    I was told at are tractor place not to put the giant light that i got on my chickens i would cook them. He said to use a 40 what. I think I have a 60 in. They dont stand real close but do stay in that 1/4 of the broder? eating drinking.
    I got my 4 little hens Wed : )

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had a 100 watt bulb about 18 inches from the birds and they were just fine. I think you are fine. Do they pile all over each other under it? It may not be strong enough!

3. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You can't cook them if you have a thermometer in the brooder!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I think mine is 100 watt too. Never had a thermometer in the brooder, really no need for it. When chicks are cold they huddle under the light, when they are to hot they are the farthest they can get from the light, when the are just fine they are just wondering around every where.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used a 60 watt bulb and put a wireless digital thermometer with an alarm in the brooder. Mine are fine. They will find their comfort zone. I put my lamp on one end so they could get as close or far for their comfort.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    cmom, great point, I always put my lights on one end of the brooder, so they can get close, or far away if they need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by