Bored chickens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    We got the first snow of the season this morning. I went out to collect eggs. when I opened the door the chickens stayed in the coop. I left the door open for a little while to see if they would go outside and they wouldn't.We usually let them out the big door because the pop door opens into their pen. They always run out of the door when I open it. The snow is wet and blowing around so leaving the door open isn't an option. Question is, what do they do if I leave them in until it quits snowing? Won't they get restless?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They could get restless. When I've had to keep my chickens cooped up, I string a few heads of cabbage from the coop roof. It gives them something else to peck at besides each other, a tasty treat and a fun game all in one. I hang it just high enough so they have to jump a little to reach it, when someone gets a good peck in it'll start swinging too. Doesn't that just sound like gobs of fun? Anyhow-my chickens love it. I strung our leftover halloween pumpkins up for them too-and they found them to be just as amusing. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by