Bored Mummy

DenFlo

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Hoping someone can offer advice ... I have a brood of 8 x 2 week old chicks (with mum) who are very lively and busy all day in their run! Trouble is mum is getting bored and I would like to give her something to keep herself occupied. Can I hang some vegetables in for her or would this be bad for the babies at this age? I've been hand feeding her mealworms but can only do this for a short time as I don't want the chicks to have too many (they catch the bits mum drops), or are they ok for chicks? They are all on ad lib chick crumb and get through loads of it!

Last edited:
Since they are in a run, if it is a natural or dirt floored run they have access to grit and can have almost anything to eat at this age.

What about letting mom and the kids out to free range? My broody had her chicks free ranging at 2 days old and I know she was feeding them wire worms(like mealworms but more orange) that she would find in the garden on day 4 of the chicks lives.

If you can't let them out to free range then for sure you can throw treats, garden scraps, etc in there for the mom and kids to dig through.

Remember wild birds don't have "starter feed", as long as grit is available they can eat whatever mom eats as long as it's small enough.

Think hanging a vegetable is fine (just make sure have age appropriate grit for chicks as well as mum). I put a bale of straw in my run (has lots of seed heads in it) and it keeps my hens occupied for months. I don't break down the straw or remove the wire holding it together, just put the whole bale in there and they jump on it, scratch it, etc. I turn it once a month and usually there are crickets and other bugs under it which they go crazy for. When they have pretty much torn it up, I take the wire out.

Thank you. I can't let them out yet as I have another hen and cockerel free ranging and I wouldn't trust either of them to play nicely! They've got a dirt run (with a bit of grass that's left) so will make sure they get grit too then I'll start with the treats!

I have heard that a swing helps with boredom. The are expensive to buy and the perch is made out of plastic so we used a branch and rope we had laying around and made our own. They are still getting use to it but I've seen them on it a couple of times. It's so cute to watch!

A swing! What a good idea! I'll give that a go too, thank you!
You're welcome
smile.png
Good luck with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom