Bored, underfed, and picky chicken! (almost sounds like some teenagers I know...)

My only thoughts are on the boredom. I have one EE and I think they are all a little "special" I give them the flock blocks that TSC has. They are seed blocks they can pick at all day long. They have a few smaller ones that may keep her occupied and let her "forage". I have also halved an apple (coring and seeding) to let them peck and it that. Takes a while to do. pumpkins, small ones? or other squash? Watermelons were the best thing this summer. Berries and leaf lettuce or cabbage. Egg for protein seems a good idea. Good luck!

That is hysterical!(The bird watching TV).
But poor bird. Someone suggested putting chick feed in applesauce, that might work.
She might be miserable from her molt. Good idea that you have separated her for now.
Make sure she gets vitamins. Give her a dose of Nutri-Drench every day for a few days. My girls go wild for hard boiled egg yolks when they are under the weather, and it’s a great source of protein.
I didn’t realize I’d failed to mention trying scrambled eggs. She ate a few bites. I did give her a raw egg one morning and she loved the yolk, but I didn’t want to encourage any future egg eating. I haven’t tried hard boiled eggs yet, though...:fl

I suspect she wont connect the eggs she lays with the yolk being yummy, as long as you dont like... show her what you're doing. IDK. But my dog knows chicken from the kitchen is delicious but has no idea the chickens outside are the same thing.

Have you tried scrambled eggs? My roo who wouldnt eat (hed greedily eat anything I stuck in his mouth but wasnt getting anything on his own) annihilated some scrambled eggs. And that's much more substance than apple slices at least.

We had a peachick who was alone and we played cartoons for him too, so dont even feel weird haha.
Thanks! Glad to hear I’m not the only one that thought brought colors and high voices would keep them entertained! I did try the scrambled eggs but someone else mentioned hard boiled, so I’ll try that next!

My only thoughts are on the boredom. I have one EE and I think they are all a little "special" I give them the flock blocks that TSC has. They are seed blocks they can pick at all day long. They have a few smaller ones that may keep her occupied and let her "forage". I have also halved an apple (coring and seeding) to let them peck and it that. Takes a while to do. pumpkins, small ones? or other squash? Watermelons were the best thing this summer. Berries and leaf lettuce or cabbage. Egg for protein seems a good idea. Good luck!
All great ideas, thank you. I think we even have a flock block stored around here somewhere. Do you usually do anything to the leafy greens or just toss them in whole and let them go at it?

I have an 18-month-old EE that I pulled from the flock because the others were picking on her and keeping her away from the food. I assume(d) that it is because she is going through a pretty hard molt.
How many other birds?
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Diemsniosn and pics would help immensely here.

Put the crate out in the run or range area....in the coop at night.
Give her fresh plain water and regular chicken feed, she will eat if she gets hungry enough.

How many other birds?
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Diemsniosn and pics would help immensely here.

Put the crate out in the run or range area....in the coop at night.
Give her fresh plain water and regular chicken feed, she will eat if she gets hungry enough.
There are six other hens and one rooster...all the same age.
The coop is 8’x 8’ but I could put her on the storage side which is separated by a chicken wire covered stud wall. My biggest concern is that she’s so thin and it’s getting down in the upper 40’s at night. Will that be too cold for her? The image below is of the storage side set up this summer for an injured chicken.
Plenty of room in the run for the crate.
67A69EFD-63F4-40E1-A510-042CE258BC41.jpeg
5D2727EE-C226-44DE-96F7-8E4BA69FAB0B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom