Boredom busters!

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
First major snowfall of our long winter for my girls, number of times I’ve checked on them since being home...327 😅 they haven’t set foot in their run all day, will they “warm up 🤣) to it or are my girls and me and hate it?! I feel bad, they just kind of stand there in their coop. I have a treat holder dangler thing that sometimes has mealworms etc in it (used for wild birds too) but that’s currently empty. I tossed some bird seed down for them to scratch at. They have things out in their run, should I put more stuff in their coop?

Snow already!! Yikes! :eek:
Have you cleared a place of snow in the run for them? Maybe it is not that deep yet. Is this their first winter? They may be wondering what it is. 😄
We received about 1/2” last week but it didn’t stay long. Today we’re probably at 4” and still climbing 🤢 it’s maybe 1”-2” in their run in some spots at the deepest parts. They’d walk up to their pop door and just turn right back around 🤣 and yes, this is their first!

With my first batch of chicks, I kept them in the coop only for a week or two and when I opened the plank to the run... they just all stood on the ramp and stared at the grass. Two days later, they were still only going as far as the ramp until... 1 chick came running out of the coop and down the ramp... she put her brakes on... but collided with a chick on the edge of the ramp... that chick fell off the ramp into the grass (about 1/2") and quickly popped up and jumped back onto the ramp (I was laughing so much)... ever since then, they love going into the run!! They will go in the run, maybe they will even make a game out of it and push each other into the run!

Is there a protected area of the run they can use that doesn't have snow in it?

As I have an unroofed run so I go out and shovel pathways around the run for my flock to use, otherwise they'd choose to stay inside during snowy weather. Doesn't have to be the full run, but just a bit of space for them to stretch their legs out in and explore will help.

Alternatively you can throw stuff on top of the snow for them to walk on (dried leaves, pallets) but that only works until you get more snowfall.

Is there a protected area of the run they can use that doesn't have snow in it?

As I have an unroofed run so I go out and shovel pathways around the run for my flock to use, otherwise they'd choose to stay inside during snowy weather. Doesn't have to be the full run, but just a bit of space for them to stretch their legs out in and explore will help.

Alternatively you can throw stuff on top of the snow for them to walk on (dried leaves, pallets) but that only works until you get more snowfall.
I’ll try and get in there to shovel some out of the way! We have no leaves, everything is buried under 5” of snow :( another 4”-8” in the forecast over the next couple days. Ugh!

Pics of your coop and run?
I shovel part of the run and path all along it to be able to keep the mesh roof clear if needed.
Protected space under the coop that is about 4x8 right under the pop door.
I spread a thin layer of straw, shavings, or sand when it gets icy.

I shovel part of the run and path all along it to be able to keep the mesh roof clear if needed.
I’m going to get some plastic up today to prevent as much from coming in, especially on the top! This run was built for our rabbit who had no problems acclimating to the snow, so I figured as much for my girls. Guess not!

Attachments

• 6493E73C-C755-421B-8895-FF37126718D1.jpeg
    6493E73C-C755-421B-8895-FF37126718D1.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 7
  • 4FE55E05-1E7A-4A4E-AE34-C47B8D49FF6D.jpeg
    4FE55E05-1E7A-4A4E-AE34-C47B8D49FF6D.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 6
Forgot the coop!

Attachments

• 7BC4706A-B871-463E-B2DA-4E4E5A4DA33B.jpeg
    7BC4706A-B871-463E-B2DA-4E4E5A4DA33B.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 695123A4-13C1-4C5E-A0A7-F958C39E5A03.jpeg
    695123A4-13C1-4C5E-A0A7-F958C39E5A03.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 82DAFE4B-4720-4F68-9333-5F6FFBFED2C7.jpeg
    82DAFE4B-4720-4F68-9333-5F6FFBFED2C7.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 6
With my first batch of chicks, I kept them in the coop only for a week or two and when I opened the plank to the run... they just all stood on the ramp and stared at the grass. Two days later, they were still only going as far as the ramp until... 1 chick came running out of the coop and down the ramp... she put her brakes on... but collided with a chick on the edge of the ramp... that chick fell off the ramp into the grass (about 1/2") and quickly popped up and jumped back onto the ramp (I was laughing so much)... ever since then, they love going into the run!! They will go in the run, maybe they will even make a game out of it and push each other into the run!
They’re so entertaining!

Back
Top Bottom