Boss - An Honourable Death

Sorry for your loss. I know we've lost some geese at the local lake to coyotes. They take/eat everything and very little is left when you finally discovered him. I remember this beloved gander that used to be there and would greet all the walkers early in the morning. A lot of people loved him, but I came across a grizzly scene one morning that I won't describe. Since then, the geese have never been back to that spot.

Quote:
I too am sorry for your loss, but in the spirit of Boss I must warn you that whatever got him is very likely to return for the rest of the flock one bird at a time. Start planning now what you can do to prevent that!

36405_picture_006.jpg

I am waiting for the predator to return, unfortunately our animals free range on 20 acres and some of the boundaries only have barbed wire fencing which is not a deterrent against foxes and dogs, the geese and ducks also swim on the river (which flows through our land) and will go beyond our land, they also venture to the edge of our wood and we do know of foxes living in there.

We have not seen any foxes for some time, it is still hunting season here ( until 28th February ) and the main problem is the hunting dogs, they are not controlled and do come onto our land - we had 3 guinea fowl killed by one dog and we managed to catch it before it tore through our flock - the hunter did apologise though.

Our donkeys normally warn of foxes in the vicinity, they bray loudly..... our GSD female is outside roaming during the day and she looks after the animals but she can't cover all of the areas - I heard a dog barking Monday and again yesterday - maybe it was a hunting dog..... I only know that Boss is dead and we do have a shotgun and will use it if needs must against a predator.

The picture is of Boss with some of the goslings he raised

That is a lovely sentiment ChickenZoo..... I looked on your website and you probably have more animals than me - I lost count at 90.... and I love them all but yes, it gives room for more love for others to come.... I have Silkie babies at the moment and although they get lots of love from Maman Silkie/Tweebie my broody Silkies (they hatched 6 chicks between them sharing eggs and nesting box) I give them lots of attention too - the other 3 chicks are from full size chicken eggs.

Suzie

Quote:
Great picture of a great Gander! I am sorry for talking down to you with my warning. No way to tell if this was your 1st loss or the 14th. A lot of people get so concerned that they forget the animal is still out there and they usually hunt again where they had good luck.
I lost a old boss too ("old guy") he had been boss for only 2 years when a new addition to the flock beat him in a fair fight and cast him out. I used to see him watch the goslings from a distance but the new boss would not let him near them. He adopted my ducks and became king of that flock and would tend to up to 40 ducklings at a time. Two dogs pretty much tore him to bits but he kept them busy while all the ducks fould places to hide (I had hidey holes wher they could get away from the geese until old guy joined them) A highway will be built where he is buried but I moved his stone to my new place.
I used to have hunting dogs around my farm too, my neighbor had a pack trained for deer (Legal in this state) but they paid no atttention to the poultry even though they would be scared and running. All the dogs were interested in were deer. The 2 that tore up old guy were house pets with no training of any kind. They returned, S.S.S. R.I.P.~gd

Last edited:
Hi GooseDragon,

No offence taken, it is good to hear warnings when we are so preoccupied with our loss - all of my geese are housed safely overnight, as are my ducks, chickens goats etc.

My animals have always had the freedom to roam during the day but every one of them come home at dusk ( or before ) and wait to be let into the stables, the doors are locked and my animals come out after dawn.

It was so sad to read your story of your experience with your own boss "old guy" - they truly are wonderful in their ways of protecting the flock - we can only have our memories of such wonderful creatures and it is a privelige to have owned and loved them - the poem on page 1 is a wonderful tribute to any of our fowl...... befitting of any courageous bird(s) - there are many sad stories I read of on this site and we can only go forward with knowledge we accumulate and trust that we will be ever more vigilant in looking after our own....

I still have a feeling that the predator was a dog..... I would not have a problem shooting a fox - but a dog......??? I have two GSD's myself and I do question as to whether or not I could shoot a dog - but if it were attacking my flock I don't think I would hesitate.

Suzie

What a beatiful bird. Sounds like he lived a great life. I've only known the wild Canada Geese that visit my home and raise babies every year and though they do not belong to me I grieve when we lose one. It's all one big family.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom