BOSS or Scratch?

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
During the winter, we usually do a 50/50 ratio of layer crumbles and scratch. However, I recently discovered our local Amish market sells BOSS for the same price as TSC scratch. Which one should we use this year?

Boss isn't necessarily more nutritious then corn or scratch. Both are pretty light on important micro and macro nutrients, they are only supplements and not staples. But BOSS is very oily and fatty, which is helpful for the winter in keeping the birds warm. Don't use much though.

I give mine boss in the summer just a few hand fulls in the evening to lure them into their coop. In the winter I mixs half scratch & half boss .

I use both. In the winter it is usually half and half, sometimes BOSS only, depends on how cold it is.

In the summer they get a little bit of both, but maybe once a week when I fill the wild bird feeder. They get a ton of other treats (kitchen scraps) so I don't give them the BOSS or scratch that often in the summer. They eat their layer feed and greens, weeds and grass clippings, too.

As far as I know Boss nor Scratch is meant to be a main diet for chickens. How's the laying going with 50/50 scratch and layer? Seems to me that that wouldn't give them the right nutritional needs. How healthy are your birds and have you had any problems?

To much corn and you'll have fat birds and they don't lay well nor is it healthy. I do use scratch as a treat mixed with Boss and have read that scratch makes a good night time snack to help chickens generate heat in the winter.

Seems to me you wouldn't want to over do the scratch in the summer either. Chickens don't deal with heat very well.

Hi,
I guess I should clarify that - I mix the BOSS and scratch 50-50, and use it as a treat. They get layer feed all the time, free feeding.

Quote:
I think rancher hicks was referring to the OP's post
big_smile.png
Your post was clear.

Back
Top Bottom