BOSS

I buy a Cardinal mix. It's Sunflower seeds, Safflower seeds and Sunflower kernels. It's high in fat, 35 percent.
I mix it with Scratch Grains. Low fat 1.5 percent.
I mix a 7# bag of Cardinal mix into 25# of Scratch.
I scatter a heaping 1/4 cup measure in their pen once a day to my three 2 1/2 year olds. I scatter the same amount to my seven 12 week olds. I give as a midmorning treat. I don't feed any other treats or scraps.
If i were to feed just Sunflower seeds to 4 chickens it would be 1/8 cup per day. GC

This is very helpful. I don't give treats often because I don't want to overfeed them, and there are only 4 of them. And they seem to eat plenty when free ranging. I can do this (or something similar to this) with no problem! Thanks!

So I was at my local grocery store the other day, and they were clearing out a bunch of bags of BOSS. I bought several - only $1.50 per 10 lb bag! My pullets love them (of course), but I don't know how many are too many. Want the purdy, shiny feathers, but don't want my girls to get fat! I searched the forums (or fora) for info, but came up wanting. Please forgive me if this is a repeated topic...

Anybody have a good rule of thumb for how much/how often? I have 4 pullets who free range for pay of every day and will hopefully start laying soon. TIA!

5 to 10% of a total ration in BOS is perfectly fine. I have seen old whole grain scratch recipes, I believe for growing birds, where sunflowers were a third or more of the mix. The seeds do have a lot of energy (fat), but fed whole with shells, it takes much of that energy to digest them. That's a natural limiter, whereas I would be much more cautious of the fattening effects of sunflower hearts which are very concentrated energy.

Back
Top Bottom