Bossy/Agressive Hen- now what?!

DKRickey

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 6, 2011
I get the whole "pecking order" but I only have six hens and five are sweet and social (even if they're not entirely "cuddly") but one female (red star) is particularily agressive!
sad.png
She pecks at my shoes (and toes if I'm wearing sandals), will come OUT of the coop to prevent me from closing the pop-door before it's completely dark, etc. I don't trust her and we are obviously at odds as to whose the top b*%ch. We're only allowed six hens- no roosters. I'm concerned that the "removal" of Clarabelle will only encourage one of the other five to step into "Queen Hen" and be a b*%ch too. We have two young children (6 and 2 yrs) and don't want them to be afraid of the girls because of one bossy/agressive hen. Any suggestions?

I had a Delaware that was bullying the other hens really bad.

So I put her in a large, wire dog cage that we keep in the main henhouse. She was in sight of the other birds, but was isolated from them. We kept her in that cage for several days, then let her out "on probation."

Well, it didn't take two minutes for her to big time attack one of the other hens, so back into chickie jail she went for a few more days.

Then we let her out on probation again. She attacked again.

So we put her back into chickie jail, and began to seriously consider rehoming or culling her.

But we couldn't do anything quickly, and so a few days later, we let her out on probation again.

That time, she behaved herself.

Nowadays, she does not attack the other birds, though she doen't take any guff off of them either.

It is more peaceful since little Ethel learned her place in the flock, and no longer bullies the others.

She's pecking at ME... she won't turn her back on me and takes any opportunity to bite my hand, feet, etc.
I want the girls (Clarabelle especially) to look to me as the top hen in their pecking order. Suggestions?

Like the post before suggested. Isolation, to show her who the real boss is. But don't be too mean about it, bring her lots of treats to let her know where the food comes from.

I would treat her like an even bossier hen would. A peck on the head, hold her down for a minute. Make sure she knows who's boss! My RIR like to regularly make sure I'm still boss. I pick her up and carry her around if she gets to bossy. Usually that puts her back in place.

I would treat her like an even bossier hen would. A peck on the head, hold her down for a minute. Make sure she knows who's boss! My RIR like to regularly make sure I'm still boss. I pick her up and carry her around if she gets to bossy. Usually that puts her back in place.

x2
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom