Halcyyonn

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2024
Hello!

Last year, I wanted to expand my flock. We would've been going from 3 Dominiques (2 years old in March) to the Dominiques + 3 Easter Egger hens. My father very much wanted a rooster, so after some research we ended up adding 4 hens (one was a surprise) and a rooster. They came by post at two days old, I incubated them, let them have field trips outside when they were old enough, then transfered them to a smaller coop+run just outside of my main coop+run. Here is where I think I made a mistake.

The five EE's were quickly outgrowing their little coop, so I decided to start introducing them to the older Dominiques at ~10 weeks. The older hens were not enthused about this. They would run at the younger birds - but never really make contact. I assumed this was part of the pecking order being established - uncomfortable growing pains. No one ever got hurt, just frightened. In hindsight, i wonder if experiencing this at a young age traumatized the younger birds. Then, the rooster - his name is Marshall - discovered that he was, in fact, a rooster and didn't need to be shoved around by the Dominiques.

Which, by my research, was fine! Again, just the pecking order being established. I tried to be patient as he got meaner and meaner - chasing them relentlessly, not just charging, pecking and using his talons. Then, he sent one of my Dominiques running with a gushing wound to her head. I treated it the best I could, but it quickly got infected. I took her to the vet - $600 for a surgery, stitches, and painkillers + antibiotics for home.

I didn't feel like this was normal, but there's so little information about roosters being aggressive with their hens online. I separated him from the rest of the flock - back into the coop they used when they were babies, this time moved into the run so that he could be around the other birds. Hopefully, being close but not touching would convince him that the Dominiques weren't his enemies.

This was about six months ago. As the weather got colder I would move him into the communal coop with all the hens for the night, but I couldn't trust him to stay with the Dominiques during the day. I let them free-range together on our 1/3 acre property, but he would end up guarding the run and wouldn't let the Dominiques enter. The Dominiques started to get scared at the sight of him. While free-ranging they would hide on our deck. During this time he would very rarely outright chase them - he would just be menacing, slowly walk towards them with his head down until they lost their nerve and ran away. My poor girls quickly went from being spoilt rotten to being afraid whenever he was outside of his own run.

During this time, Marshall acted a gentlemen towards the EEs that he grew up with. He's so very kind to them, never ever aggressive towards myself or my family. He even gets along with our dog (picture attached of them hanging out). He's cuddly and goofy and handsome. Our neighbors think he's charming. If not for his hatred of our three Dominiques, he would be the perfect rooster.

We recently had a winter storm that kept all the chickens holed up in the main coop for about four days. I thought that this forced closeness would convince Marshall that the Dominiques weren't a threat. Now, that the storm has passed, I tried once again to have him be free in the run along with all the hens. I watched from the porch as he ran down and mounted one of the Dominiques - perhaps a good sign, I'd hoped. Then, as she got up, he chased her once again with talons and spurs. I yelled - he knows his name - and he gave up pursuit and ran to the coop. My poor Dominique was shaken, but thankfully not injured. I feel very lucky in that regard.

I'm at my wits end. I know what often happens to unwanted roosters, but Marshall is a pet - a deeply loved one at that. My method is obviously not working - unless this violence is expected in a rooster asserting his dominance? Should I let him do what his instincts demand of him? Am I anthropomorphizing this situation? I have a responsibility for these animals, for their physical and mental wellbeing. Marshall's isolation and my Dominiques' fear mean that I am failing in that responsibility, but it's hard for me to see a good path forward.

I have an email written up to an animal sanctuary in my other tab. If he goes, it is unlikely that I or my family will ever see him again, given that the only suitable sanctuary I could find is hours away. His hens - who he loves and who love him - will never see him again. My flock will be left wothout a rooster, whose protection and alert I've come to appreciate. But if I can't fix this situation, perhaps getting another rooster will just repeat the problem.

I have only kept chickens for two years come March. Is this normal? Should I keep trying? Has anyone had the same situation? Is there anything else I can try? Any and all information is welcome - the only other chicken owner I know has never experienced this situation, so she's as much in the dark as I am. Thanks.

TL;DR - My rooster is aggressive and violent towards my older hens. What should I do?
1001309043.jpg

We would've been going from 3 Dominiques (2 years old in March) to the Dominiques + 3 Easter Egger hens. My father very much wanted a rooster, so after some research we ended up adding 4 hens (one was a surprise) and a rooster.
Would you consider rehoming the Dominiques, since he's a courtly gentleman to the Easter Eggers (who love him) and good with you, family and pets? He himself is an Easter Egger, correct? Maybe he sees the Doms as "not one of us". Rehomed hens have a better chance of landing well than cockerels, generally, and you are obviously very attached to Marshall. Just my 2 cents...

(I wonder how he'd be if you added more Easter Egger girls to his flock? 🤔 To replace the Dominiques. Or if he's only accepting of his original flockmates?)

My method is obviously not working - unless this violence is expected in a rooster asserting his dominance? Should I let him do what his instincts demand of him? Am I anthropomorphizing this situation? I have a responsibility for these animals, for their physical and mental wellbeing. Marshall's isolation and my Dominiques' fear mean that I am failing in that responsibility, but it's hard for me to see a good path forward.
I really appreciate this. Because I'm new to chickens and I feel the same way about my flock - I appreciate their natural instincts, and want to balance that with the safety of both humans and animals.

Back
Top Bottom